Late goals secure Leeds Elland Road win...

UNITED 2 (Easton OG 88, McCormack 90+5), BURNLEY 1 (Austin 68)

United: Lonergan, Bruce, Kisnorbo (Sam 17), O'Dea, White, Townsend, Clayton, Thompson, Pugh, Becchio (Forssell 70), Nunez (McCormack 75). Subs:  McCarthy, Brown.

Burnley: Grant, Edgar, Easton, Mee, Trippier, Wallace, Marney, McCann, Stanislas (Amougou 37), Austin (Vokes 74), Rodriguez. Subs: Hines, Stewart, McDonald.

Referee: M Brown

Booked: Pugh (Leeds), Trippier, Edgar, Mee, Grant (Burnley)

Sent-off: Trippier (Burnley)

United manager Simon Grayson rang the changes for the visit of Burnley, making no less than five as his side faced their second game in the space of 48 hours. New loan signing Andros Townsend came in for his debut while young midfielder Zac Thompson was called into the side. Alex Bruce was also handed his first start of the season while Luciano Becchio and Adam Clayton were both recalled.

Andros Townsend against Burnley

United had gone down 4-1 at Barnsley two days earlier, and it was Burnley who had the first opportunity of 2012 at Elland Road when a misplaced pass gave Charlie Austin sight of goal, but Aidy White did well to restrict the chance.

White also delivered one early teasing cross after Thompson had earlier had a shot blocked. Paddy Kisnorbo also lifted the ball over the top, following a Townsend corner.

There was a lengthy stoppage inside the opening 15 minutes when Kisnorbo received treatment after taking a tumble while looking to clear, and the defender was replaced by Lloyd Sam, prompting another re-shuffle at the back with Thompson moving to right-back and Bruce to the centre.

Andy Lonergan took over the captain's armband and the United skipper was immediately called upon to make a good save. He also raced off his line to clear just ahead of Jay Rodriguez as the Burnley striker looked to latch on to a long ball forward.

But, when United went forward Thompson sent in two excellent crosses and Townsend fired wide after a good attacking run forward.

The visitors were dealt a blow when Trippier picked up a second yellow card shortly before the half-hour, following a foul on the lively Townsend.

Brian Easton makes it 1-1

That was the cue for United to take greater control of the contest during the period leading up to half-time. There were four minutes of time added on, and Danny Pugh went into the book in the first of those, following a challenge on Ben Mee.

United started the second period on the front foot and Ramon Nunez was thwarted in the opening minutes. Townsend also went close when he cut in from the right and sent a shot flying over the top.

Sam was next to be denied when he had an acrobatic effort blocked, following a free-kick, and it took some desperate defending to clear a Sam cross as United pressed again. A corner was also awarded when a Darren O'Dea header hit the top of the bar.

Townsend continued to be a threat and Mee had to react well to clear one low cross and as the game headed past the hour mark Leeds were very much in the acendancy.

There was more desperate defending from the visitors to deny Becchio and Mee became the third player to be booked following a foul on Townsend. From the resultant free-kick, Lee Grant had to be at full stretch to beat away a curling effort from Nunez.

Thompson was next to go close when he sent a first time effort from just outside of the box fizzing past the post.

Ross McCormack wins it

But it was Burnley who took the lead against the run of play when Charlie Austin, latching on to a ball down the right channel, delivered a low strike which left Lonergan with no chance.

United had dominated the second period, but were suddenly playing catch-up against the 10 men of Burnley. Mikael Forssell and Ross McCormack were both drafted into the fray as Leeds looked for the all-important leveller, but Burnley were defending stoutly and keeping men behind the ball.

Forssell did send a shot flying over the top as the game headed into the final five minutes, and the fans were celebrating moments later when Brian Easton somehow contrived to turn a Clayton corner into his own goal to make it 1-1.

That was the cue for Leeds to come forward in numbers once again and Thompson had another effort deflected wide in the 90th minute.

With five minutes added on, Townsend won a corner after another enterprising run and Grant had to punch the resultant corner clear. Sam also went close in the 94th minute when he sent a shot just wide of the post.

And the winning goal came in the last minute when Grant failed to hold a strike from distance and McCormack seized to tap home his 11th goal of the season from close range.

That proved the last action of the game as the 27,000 plus crowd celebrated a vital late victory.