United progress with 2-1 win at Elland Road...

UNITED 2 (Brown 28, Poleon 31), CHESTERFIELD 1 (Doyle 17).

United: Kenny, Drury, Lees, Pearce, Thompson, Green, White (McCormack 60), Brown, Norris (Murphy 60), Smith, Poleon. Subs. Ashdown, Hunt, Varney, Hall, Mowatt.

Chesterfield: Lee, Smith, Hird, Morsy, Darikwa (O'Shea 64), Roberts, Ryan, Humphreys (Richards 77), Doyle (Gnanduillet 67), Talbot, Edwards. Subs. Chapman, Cooper, Togwell, Brown.

Referee: C Boyeson.

Att: 17,466

Booked: Thompson (Leeds), Ryan, Morsy, Lee (Chesterfield).

Chesterfield were the visitors for the first round of the Capital One Cup and United manager Brian McDermott made a number of changes to his starting line-up after Saturday's victory against Brighton.

Summer arrival Matt Smith made his first start for the club and there was also a first appearance of the season for Zac Thompson. Former under-18s captain Alex Mowatt was promoted to the first team bench for the first time after impressive performances in Development Squad fixtures.

Within United's starting line-up there were two career milestones. United goalkeeper Paddy Kenny made his 600th career appearance and the second achievement was that Aidy White was making his 100th outting in a Leeds United shirt.

United started brightly and the first chance of the game came in the first minute when Smith held the ball up well and Dominic Poleon latched onto his knock down but his shot went just wide of the mark.

It was United that had control of the game during the opening exchanges with the partnership of Smith and Poleon looking dangerous for the home side. After good work by Adam Drury, Poleon found himself in space out wide and created a shooting opportunity but the away defence blocked well.

Although United continued to look comfortable on the ball it was the away side that took the lead in the 17th minute. Chesterfield full-back Drew Talbot found himself in space to cross and Eoin Doyle connected and his headed effort was good enough to beat Kenny.

United didn't waste any time and went looking for the equaliser. It was Poleon once again that created an opening but his cross was cut-out by the away defence.

With United searching for an equaliser it was Chesterfield that had the next meaningful chance on goal when Jimmy Ryan struck from distance but Kenny saved well.

The one goal advantage lasted 11 minutes as United equalised after great build-up play from Drury and White set-up Michael Brown to strike at goal. The midfielder unleashed a superb strike that flew past Tommy Lee from 20-yards out.

Moments later United were ahead through Poleon. The United striker had the ball at his feet with only one defender to beat, he had the option to play in Smith but the striker went along and finished well into the bottom corner.

With the 40 minute mark approaching the away side almost levelled the game through Tendayi Darikwa. The midfielder out-paced Jason Pearce, rounded Kenny and had the goal at his mercy but Pearce recovered brilliantly to clear Darikwa's shot off the line.

As the half was drawing to a close it was home side that was pushing forward and great pressure from Brown in the United midfield led an attack. Brown continued his push forward but his cross was cut-out by the away defence.

The away side had the first effort on goal in the second half from a free-kick just outside the United penalty area. It was Ryan who stood over the free-kick and it took a block from Brown at the near post to prevent Kenny having to make the save.

It was with another free-kick that the away side threated Kenny's goal again 10 minutes after the interval, but the United keeper cleared his lines well.

On the hour mark United manager Brian McDermott made two changes to his side to try and sure things up by introducing Ross McCormack and Luke Murphy in place of David Norris and White.

United's first meaningful effort on goal came after great work from subtitute McCormack, he crossed for Smith but the striker's headed attempt went just over.

The striker was involved again moments later when he and Poleon linked up well in the away area but Lee saved well by blocking his effort.

United broke on the counter-attack with 15 minutes remaining and substitute Murphy warmed Lee's fingertips with a shot from distance.

An even better chance came United's way just minutes later when McCormack's through ball found Poleon but the Chesterfield goalkeeper was on hand once again to deny a third United goal.

Great work once again from Poleon led to United's next chance. The striker used his skill and pace to gain a yard and crossed for his strike partner, Smith connected with the ball but was judged to have fouled a Chesterfield defender in the process.

Just minutes of the 90 remained as the away side threated after great intricate build-up play that ended with Talbot striking into Kenny's arms.

As the game headed into five minutes of injury time Ryan in the Chesterfield midfield tried his luck again from distance, but as with Talbot's shot moments earlier, his strike went straight into the arms of the United goalkeeper.

There was still time for the away side to attack once more as injury drew to a close. Nathan Smith found himself with time and space just inside the United box, the defender saw his shot hit Kenny's post and proved to be the final effort on goal with United progressing to the second round of the Capital One Cup.