Report: Middlesbrough 3-4 Leeds United

Report: Middlesbrough 3-4 Leeds United

A thrilling three points on the road.

Sky Bet Championship

Middlesbrough 3 (Jones 7’, Latte Lath 30’, 87’)

Leeds United 4 (Summerville pen 14’, 61’, Bamford 18’, Gnonto 39’)

Boro: Dieng (GK), van den Berg, Clarke, Latte Lath, Jones, Dijksteel (Gilbert 68’), Howson (C), Silvera, Azaz, O’Brien (Barlaser 76’), Thomas (Bangura 68’). Subs not used: Jones (GK), Connor (GK), Hoppe, Lennon, McCabe, Matthews. 

Leeds: Meslier (GK), Firpo, Ampadu (C), Bamford (Piroe 74’), Summerville (Anthony 86’), Rodon, Gray, Georginio (Kamara 81’), Byram, Gnonto (James 81’), Gruev. Subs not used: Darlow (GK), Cooper, Shackleton, Gelhardt, Joseph.

Referee: Tony Harrington

Booked: Latte Lath, Jones, Howson (Boro) Bamford (Leeds) 

Venue: Riverside Stadium

Attendance: TBC

Leeds United produced a thrilling victory against Middlesbrough in the Sky Bet Championship, scoring four goals on their way to collecting three valuable points, and moving back into the top two of the table. 

The hosts went into the lead after seven minutes, with the first threatening attack of the match. Luke Thomas began the move and the ball was played through to Emmanuel Latte Lath, he was challenged, but the ball fell kindly for Isaiah Jones to finish at close range. 

Daniel Farke’s side responded superbly and were on level terms quickly. Georginio Rutter went on a solo run into the box and was brought down by Anfernee Dijksteel. From the spot, Crysencio Summerville found the bottom corner with power and placement.  

Then just four minutes later, Leeds were ahead! Junior Firpo whipped a pinpoint delivery into the box and Patrick Bamford was the most alert, to run into the space and turn the ball home! 

In a similar fashion to when the two teams had met previously in the season at Elland Road, the goals kept on coming in a frantic opening 45 minutes at the Riverside Stadium.

Next to find the net was Boro’s top-scorer, Latte Lath. The forward collected the ball and ran at the United goal, before striking from the edge of the box and finding the top corner, despite Illan Meslier getting fingertips to the effort. 

Five minutes before the break and the Whites were back ahead! An excellent run from Archie Gray found Summerville who turned and played in Willy Gnonto. The Italian international kept his cool and fired into the top corner himself, this time! 

After scoring, Gnonto then came close to being the provider in the next attack. He played the ball to Bamford who had found space to shoot inside the box, only for Seny Dieng to make an excellent save at full-stretch.  

Meslier was then the ‘keeper needed next, with Boro going close at the other end. Sammy Silvera cut into the middle of the pitch from the left and shot, only to see United’s number one down well to deny him. 

After six minutes of stoppage time were played, an entertaining first 45 minutes was brought to a close, with the Whites a goal ahead.

HALF TIME: Middlesbrough 2-3 Leeds United

Back out for the second half, neither team had made a change during the interval, and the match got underway again under the lights of the Riverside Stadium.

A stunning bit of team play saw Farke’s side score their fourth of the night, with a free-flowing move down the left which was capped off with an even better finish!

Bamford began by holding the ball up and picking out Firpo inside, who exchanged a one-two with Georginio, before then playing in Summerville. From there, the Dutchman showed his class, cutting inside and curling into the top corner! 

A well-worked corner routine nearly brought a fifth for Leeds. Summerville linked up with Gnonto, then involved Ilia Gruev who played Summerville again, but the attempt to find Bamford from the winger was narrowly overhit when close to goal. 

With just over 15 minutes to play, Farke went to his bench. Joel Piroe was brought into the action in place of the hard-working Bamford in the forward line. Shortly after, Glen Kamara and Dan James entered as well, with Georginio and Gnonto coming off.  

Late chances did come with Boro pushing forward searching for a way back, and Latte Lath was able to take one of them to reduce the deficit. A long ball over the top found the forward, who cleverly looped a header into the back of the net. 

Leeds remained calm and did still have work to do in the final stages with Middlesbrough continuing to throw everything at them, but the Whites held on, to claim a vital and hard-fought three points at the Riverside Stadium. 

FULL TIME: Middlesbrough 3-4 Leeds United