Yorkshire derby ends goalless...


United: Kenny, Lees, Zaliukas, Pearce, Peltier (Byram 46), Pugh, Mowatt (Tonge 46), Murphy (Poleon 79), Austin, Smith, McCormack. Subs. Cairns, Warnock, Brown, Diouf.

Barnsley: Butland, Hassell (Dawson 63), Ramage, Nyatanga, Cranie, O'Brien (Scotland 83), Perkins, Wiseman, Cywka (Etuhu 67), Mellis, Tugay. Subs. Kennedy, Pedersen, Yves Mvoto, Fox.

Referee: K Stroud

Booked: Murphy, Mowatt, Tonge, Austin (Leeds), Mellis, O'Brien, Butland (Barnsley).

Sent Off: Tudgay (Barnsley).

Att: 31,031

United manager Brian McDermott named the same starting line-up that won 3-0 away to Doncaster Rovers the previous weekend. Defender Danny Pugh was a doubt for the game but was passed fit to retain his place in the starting 11.

There was a return to the matchday squad for El-Hadji Diouf, who was named among the substitiutes for the Yorkshire derby.

The opening minutes saw striker Matt Smith have a glorious chance to give United the lead. Jason Pearce swung a long ball forward which the striker chested down, but he was denied by a fantastic point-blank save from Jack Butland.

Just after the 10 minute mark Smith once again found himself having a sight at goal. The big striker managed to get on the end of a through ball from Ross McCormack after battling with Peter Ramage, his shot had the direction but lacked the desired power and Butland was able to save his strike.

United continued to cause the away side problems as the half went on with Smith winning the aerial battle with the defence. McCormack and Rudy Austin were also breaking forward at pace and Smith was unlucky after he latched onto a McCormack cross.

Midway through the half the away side came close after Bobby Hassell collected a Pearce clearance. Hassell carried the ball forward and struck from distance and his effort just just over Paddy Kenny's crossbar, although the keeper looked to have the strike covered.

After the 30-minute mark the momentum of the game switched in the favour of the away side and they had two half chances. First Jim O'Brien broke forward but his effort went wide of the mark, then moments later Marcus Tudgay had a headed attempt saved by Kenny.

With five minutes of the half remaining Tudgay out-foxed Marius Zaliukas and latched onto the end of a punt up field, but the striker blasted his effort wide.

Before the referee could blow for half time Smith rose well to meet a Pearce cross that was floated in, but the striker's powerful header went just over the bar.

There was a double change at half time for United as Sam Byram and Michael Tonge were introduced in place of Lee Peltier and Alex Mowatt, who picked up a yellow card in the first half.

The opening minute saw Pugh strike a superb effort from wide on the left. The wing-back unleashed a great effort and was denied by a great save from Butland, who pushed the effort over the bar.

Tonge almost made an immediate impact when he shot at goal from 20-yards out, Butland was there once again to keep United at bay. Moments later good play by McCormack led to Pugh shooting at goal but his effort was blocked by the defence.

United's start to the second half continued to the hour mark when the home side had a number of chances to take the lead. The two best chances fell to McCormack, first the Scot had a strike saved and then his fast-reaction header was saved brilliantly again by Butland.

Austin was the man to have the next attempt for United. The midfielder found himself wide on the left but he still managed to hit the target with a curled effort, but the keeper saved his advances.

The away side created their first chance of the second period with 20 minutes of the game remaining. A defensive mix-up at the back for United led to Jacob Mellis having a sight at goal, but he could only hit the ball into the side netting. Barnsley were in once again just minutes later but O'Brien's shot was saved well by Kenny.

Moments later great work by Smith led to the striker having a strike at Butland's goal. This time the keeper was beaten but Smith's shot went centimetres wide of the mark. Following Smith's effort Dominic Poleon was added to the attack in place of Luke Murphy.

In the 84th minute the away side were dealt a blow to their afternoon when Tudgay recieved a straight red card for a bad challenege on Zaliukas.

For the remaining minutes United attacked the 10-men of Barnsley, but the away side looked to be holding on.

Six minutes of injury time was added on after the 90 but United couldn't break the South Yorkshire side down and the game ended goalless.