Report: Leeds United 0-1 Newcastle United

Report: Leeds United 0-1 Newcastle United

Visitors take the three points.

Premier League 

Leeds United 0

Newcastle United 1 (Shelvey 75’)

Leeds: Meslier (GK), Ayling (C), Koch, Raphinha, Llorente, Dallas, Rodrigo, James (Roberts 71’), Struijk, Harrison, Klich (Gelhardt 80’). Subs not used: Klaesson (GK), Bate, Hjelde, McKinstry, McCarron, Moore, Kenneh.

Newcastle: Dubravka (GK), Dummett (Manquillo 63’), Schar, Lascelles (c) (Clark 68’), Joelinton (Longstaff 42’), Shelvey, Saint-Maximin, Trippier, Wood, Fraser, Willock. Subs not used: Darlow (GK), Lewis, Hendrick, Muprhy, Almiron, Gayle. 

Venue: Elland Road

Attendance: 36.405

Referee: Chris Kavanagh

Booked: James, Llorente (Leeds) Sainit-Maximin, Dummett (Newcastle)

Leeds United lost to Newcastle United at Elland Road, after Jonjo Shelvey’s second half free-kick found the back of the net to secure all three points for the visitors. 

When the game got underway, the Whites set the tone of the first half inside the opening minute. The crowd had barely sat down before Raphinha got them back up, tricking his way down the wing and breaking into the box. His attack was cleared, but it showed the early mindset of the winger. 

Newcastle also had their most dangerous player on the ball early on, too. Allan Saint-Maximin picked up the ball in space, pushed forward with it and found Joelinton but the forward struck over the bar.  

The first time the opposition ‘keeper was called into action was after more work from Raphinha. The Brazilian again did well down the wing after picking up Rodrigo’s cross field ball and found the onrushing Dan James, who in turn had his low effort saved well by Martin Dubravka. 

Two more chances came and went at either end, all inside an exciting opening 20 minutes. Mateusz Klich was the next to go close for Leeds, whilst Saint Maximin again was involved, putting his shot wide. 

Arguably the best chance of the half came from Magpies midfielder, Shelvey. When the ball fell to him at the edge of the box, he was roared on to shoot from the away end and did just that. Fortunately, Illan Meslier was alert and produced a good save from the left-footed volley thundered towards him.  

Following much of the story of the opening 45 minutes, more shots on goal came at either end before the interval but the defenders were on top. The once again returning Chris Wood and his new teammate Joelinton saw shots blocked, whilst Rodrigo and Raphinha continued to be thwarted down the other end.

The visitors were forced into the first change of the match before the whistle, as Joelinton was replaced by Sean Longstaff due to injury. After that, a first half full of chances was brought to an end without a goal, meaning the two teams went in level.

HALF TIME: Leeds United 0-0 Newcastle United

The start of the second half mirrored how the first had been played out, with plenty of good opportunities and the teams getting in dangerous areas, but nothing being converted. 

The first big chance of the half arrived and came the way of Bielsa’s side. Raphinha was again causing the issues, he pulled a cross back for Jack Harrison who controlled well and drilled a low effort inside the box. That was blocked and deflected to James, who then saw his attempt dealt with and cleared as well. 

It would be the Magpies who were next to go close in a quick counter attack up the pitch. Kieran Trippier played a dangerous ball across the box which Wood picked up and passed to Longstaff. The substitute shot low and hard, seeing his effort go inches wide of the post. 

With 15 minutes to go the deadlock was finally broken when Newcastle won a free-kick on the edge of the Leeds box. Shelvey saw off competition from Trippier to take the set-play, from which he struck low and hard into the bottom corner to put his side ahead. 

Despite throwing bodies forward in search of an equaliser late in the game, the visitors stood firm and continued to deny the Whites until the final whistle, securing themselves three points at Elland Road.

FULL TIME: Leeds United 0-1 Newcastle United