Souleymane Doukara doubles does the business...

UNITED 2 (Doukara 20, 37), ACCRINGTON 1 (Gray 84).

United: S Taylor, Berardi, Wootton, Pearce, C Taylor, Tonge, Cook (Benedicic 65), Bianchi, Ajose (Hunt 64), Smith, Doukara (Poleon 80). Subs. Silvestri, Byram, Killock, Austin.

Accrington: Simpson, Buxton, Aldred, Winnard, Mustoe, Mingoia, Hunt (Hatfield 75), Windass, Naismith (Atkinson 46), Gray, Alabi. Subs. Lynch, Liddle, McCartan, Martin, Bowerman.

Referee: R Clark.

Booked: Doukara, Tonge, Pearce (United), Winnard, Hunt (Accrington).

Sent Off: Berardi (United).

Att: 13, 407 (Accrington 288)

Following defeat at Millwall the previous Saturday United's head coach David Hockaday made a number of changes to his side for the visit of Accrington Stanley in the Capital One Cup.

There was first starts for United for Stuart Taylor, Lewis Cook, Gaetano Berardi and Tommaso Bianchi and striker Matt Smith also went into the starting line-up after being a substitute at Millwall.

United enjoyed the better of the early proceedings without really threatening the Accrington goal. Although United enjoyed the lions share of possession it was the away side that had the first meaningful attempt on goal when Piero Mingoia struck from distance. The shot provided no problems from Taylor who saved comfortably.

United were rewarded for their opening 20 minutes of play when Souleymane Doukara put his side ahead. The striker, who had been lively from the start, controlled the ball on the edge of the box, turned and struck for goal. The forward's sweet strike beat Luke Simpson and nestled into the back of the net, Berardi provided the assist.

Following Doukara's opener United looked comfortable in possession and it wasn't long before the striker got his and United's second of the evening. Cook picked up the ball in the centre of the park and moved forward with purpose. The United youngster played a perfect through ball for Doukara who played the ball through the defender's legs and stroked the ball past Simpson on 37 minutes, the keeper had no chance.

United went on to finish the half with very little coming from the away side and were worthy leaders at half time. United wasted little time in going for goal in the second with Smith going close in the opening minute. The tall striker used his strength to make room for him to get on the end of a cross and he volleyed the ball just over the crossbar.

The away side had a good chance to pull a goal back minutes later but half time substitute Rob Atkinson could only guide his headed attempt over Taylor's bar.

Moments later Smith went close again after great work from Charlie Taylor on the left-hand side of the pitch. The full-back turned his defender and swung a cross into the box but Smith's header went over the bar.

After the hour-mark David Hockaday made two substitions, one of which was the introduction of Zan Benedicic who made his United debut.

Following the introduction of Benedicic United continued to look in control of the ball without really making a mark on the away goal.

With 10 minutes remaining Doukara made a move to get his hat-trick. He had the option of passing to Noel Hunt, who was possibly in a better position, but the striker went for goal. The forward unleashed a powerful attempt that was just inches away from hitting the mark. Moments later Dominic Poleon replaced the two goal man who came off to a standing ovation from the United supporters.

The closing moments of the game were made uncomfortable when Accrington pulled a goal back through James Gray. The goal came out of nothing when the away number nine struck for goal following a good cut-back. United tried to clear the strike but an attempted clearance was unsuccessful and the ball ended up crossing the line.

Before the 90 minutes was up Berardi was shown a straight red card but United managed to survive five minutes of added time and Doukara's double in the first half secured passage into the second round of the Capital One Cup.