Whites progress after shootout victory.

Carabao Cup Third Round 

Burnley 2 (Wood pen 89, Brady 90+6) Leeds 2 (Sacko 80, Hernandez 90+4) AET

Leeds win 5-3 on penalties

Leeds United recorded a dramatic penalty shootout victory at Turf Moor to progress to the next round of the Carabao Cup at the expense of Premier League outfit Burnley.

Whites head coach Thomas Christiansen made changes to the side that was defeated at Millwall on Saturday, Pawel Cibicki was handed a debut and Andy Lonergan made his first start since joining the club.

Lonergan was called into action inside four minutes, he was on hand to make a good save to deny Scott Arfield's long range effort.

From the save Leeds countered and Jay-Roy Grot had a good opportunity, but he scuffed his shot and Nick Pope made the save.

Burnley went close from a well worked free-kick, Johann Berg Gudmundsson played the ball centrally to Phil Bardsley to strike, but his effort went wide.

Clarets striker Sam Vokes was then found in the box, but the striker couldn't keep his volley down.

Ashley Barnes had another Burnley opportunity, but he could only head wide a cross from former Leeds defender Charlie Taylor.

Kevin Long then went close from another set-piece, but he couldn't direct his header on target before Vokes teed up Arfield in the box, but he fired wide from six yards.

Stuart Dallas tested Pope following a neat corner by Leeds and Barnes again had an opportunity following Bardsley's cross, but he once more couldn't hit the target.

Half Time: Burnley 0-0 Leeds United

Gudmundsson went really close for the home side just before the hour mark, his curling effort from distance went just narrowly wide of the post.

Barnes had another chance when he met Gudmundsson's cross, but he was unable to keep his header down under pressure.

Ronaldo Vieira then tried a spectacular effort, teeing himself up for a volley from range, but he was unable to find the target.

Cibicki then won Leeds a free-kick in a dangerous position on the left flank, the ball fell to Vieira in the box who fired a volley, but his effort was well blocked.

Following the chance, Burnley broke and Bardsley fired a low angled effort just wide of Lonergan's post.

Burnley made a double change in the 72nd minute, with former Leeds striker Chris Wood and Robbie Brady introduced, the latter had an immediate impact, he first provided a cross at a free-kick for Long, who could only head wide and then had an effort himself, but couldn't keep his effort down.

Lonergan was again on hand to keep Leeds level, producing a good save after Gudmundsson teed up Ashley Westwood on the edge of the box.

Two minutes after Lonergan's save Leeds took the lead.  Pablo Hernandez, who replaced Cibicki, provided a fantastic through ball with his first touch to send fellow substitute Hadi Sacko through on goal and his low, powerful effort beat Pope.

Hernandez almost doubled the lead in the 85th minute from a free-kick, his effort went just over the crossbar.

Lonergan was again called into action to deny Gudmundsson, with another great save from close range.

From the resulting corner Burnley won a penalty.  Long's shirt was pulled by Gaetano Berardi and former Whites forward Wood slotted home the spot kick, with a minute of regular time remaining.

In added time there was more drama, Hernandez crossed and Roofe was held back, resulting in a Leeds penalty.  Hernandez kept his cool, to give Leeds the lead once again.

However, Burnley won a free-kick in the final minute of added time and Brady curled the set-piece from 25 yards into the top left corner, to take the game to extra time.

90 Mins: Burnley 2-2 Leeds United

Chances were few and far between in the first period of extra time, but there was some history, with United making a fourth substitute in a competitive match for the first time, with Ezgjan Alioski replacing Kemar Roofe in the 104th minute.

Extra Time Half Time: Burnley 2-2 Leeds United

After the restart Michel-Pierre Lasogga won Leeds a free-kick, 30 yards from goal on the left.  He took the set-piece and fired just off target.

Jack Cork again tested Lonergan from range with a half volley, but the Whites stopper would not be beaten.

Wood saw a looping header go just over the bar with four minutes remaining, before Hernandez fired just over in the final minute.

End of Extra Time: Burnley 2-2 Leeds United


Lasogga scored (Leeds pen 1)

Wood scored (Burnley pen 1)

Barnes scored (Burnley pen 2)

Hernandez scored (Leeds pen 2)

Klich scored (Leeds pen 3)

Brady scored (Burnley pen 3)

Tarkowski missed (Burnley pen 4)

Alioski scored (Leeds pen 4)

Dallas scored (Leeds pen 5)

With both sides successful with their first three penalties, James Tarowski missed Burnley's fourth to give Leeds the advantage.  Alioski then gave Leeds the lead in the shootout, before Stuart Dallas sealed it with the final effort, to ensure United's passage to the next round.

Full Time: Burnley 2-2 Leeds United (AET)

Leeds win 5-3 on penalties


Burnley: Pope, Bardsley, Tarkowski, Long, Taylor, Hendrick (Cork 90), Westwood (Defour 120), Gudmundsson, Vokes (Wood 72), Barnes, Arfield (Brady 72).  Subs not used: Legzdins, Mee, Lowton.

Leeds: Lonergan, Berardi, Ayling, Shaughnessy, Borthwick-Jackson (Sacko 60), Vieira, Klich, Roofe (Alioski 104), Dallas, Cibicki (Hernandez 79), Grot (Lasogga 85).  Subs not used: Wiedwald, Phillips, Gomes.


Referee: D. Bond

Booked: Bardsley, Long, Gudmundsson (Burnley), Grot, Roofe (Leeds)

Venue: Turf Moor

Attendance: 11,799