Garry Monk's side overturn three-goal deficit to claim victory at Nethermoor...

GUISELEY 3 (Palmer 7, 24, Lawlor 12), UNITED 4 (Stokes 45, Botaka 63, Phillips 71, Doukara 73) (7.45pm kick-off, Nethermoor)

Guiseley team: Atkinson, East, Spires, Palmer, Lockwood, Lawlor, Falkingham, Hatfield, Syers, Oli Johnson, Preston. Subs: Wilczynski, Boshell, Boyes, Rankine, Morton, Vidal.

United team: Silvestri (Turnbull 45), Coyle, P McKay, Diagouraga, Denton, Phillips, Vieira, Botaka, Stokes, Doukara, Wood. Subs: M Taylor, Shackleton, J McKay.

United overcame a three-goal deficit to maintain their winning start to pre-season with a thrilling 4-3 victory away to Guiseley on Friday evening.

The local non-league hosts raced into a 3-0 lead after just 24 minutes on a balmy summer evening at Nethermoor, with Ash Palmer’s header beating Marco Silvestri to open the scoring after a spell of early Guiseley pressure.

Jake Lawlor doubled the advantage within five minutes to set alarm bells ringing, stabbing home from close-range after a towering header had been pushed into his path at the back post.

And Palmer netted an almost carbon copy to Lawlor’s goal to make it three midway through the first half, netting his second of the night from six yards out after United failed to deal with another ball into the box.

The visitors managed to restore some pride on the stroke of half-time, however, as young Irish forward Eoghan Stokes lashed home an exquisite half-volley after Chris Wood’s initial strike was deflected into his path.

Garry Monk’s side made a bright start to the second period, with Souleymane Doukara’s header denied by the post following Tyler Denton’s left-wing cross, before Jordan Botaka halved the deficit just after the hour mark, slotting underneath former United trainee goalkeeper Dan Atkinson after twisting free inside the area.

United had the momentum and managed to pull level inside the 71st minute, Kalvin Phillips lashing a ferocious 25-yard strike beyond Atkinson and into the top corner via the aid of a slight deflection from out wide on the right.

And, within just two minutes, United took the lead with what proved to be the winner as Doukara picked out the bottom corner with a fine finish from the edge of the area.