U18s report: Stoke City 1-3 Leeds United

U18s report: Stoke City 1-3 Leeds United

Whites win last away match of the season!

U18 Premier League North

Stoke City 1 (Lowe 29’)

Leeds United 3 (McGrath 36’, Godden 38’, Snowdon 49’)

Stoke: Whitling (GK), Kutshienza, Bickerton (Curl 45’), Roney, Grogan (C) (Waite 81’), Laird, Smith, Singh, Lowe, Watson (Rattray 63’), Ireland. Subs not used: Challinor, Robson.

Leeds: Ombang (GK), McGrath, Toulson (Douglas 65’), Spencer (Chaplin 88’), Moore (C), Debayo, Snowdon, Coleman, Andreucci, Buchan (Richards’), Godden. Subs not used: Grainger, Lopata-White.

Venue: Clayton Wood

Booked: Andreucci (Leeds) Lowe, Singh (Stoke)

A great team performance from Leeds United’s Under-18s saw them claim all three points against Stoke city, with Ronnie McGrath, Scott Godden and Joe Snowdon all on the score sheet in the dominant display.

After an even start to the game, in the 20th minute it was the Whites who began to create the first real chances. McGrath produced some smart footwork and played a good pass through to Ben Andreucci but his first time shot found the gloves of the opposition ‘keeper.

McGrath was at the centre of the action again with his quick feet when he skipped past the Stoke defenders in the box and hit a strong strike goalwards, but once again Harry Whitling denied the Whites.

On the half hour mark it was the Potters who opened the scoring against the run of play. The ball was worked well to Will Smith who played a smart pass infield to Nathan Lowe, who was able to turn and hit a left footed strike into the back of the net to put the home side ahead.

Scott Gardner’s side responded well and pulled one back just a few minutes later. It came after Morten Spencer found some space down the left-hand side and whipped a dangerous ball in the box which found McGrath, who was then able to touch it down and poke his effort home from close range to level the scores!

Almost immediately after the leveller, the Whites then found themselves ahead in the game! This time it was James Debayo who drove the ball out of defence and skipped passed the Stoke midfield in excellent style.

He was able to play a great ball through to Ben Andreucci who was one on one with the ‘keeper, but unselfishly played the ball to Godden, who tapped it into an empty net to round of a great move from Leeds to turn the game around.

This was the end of the chances in the first half, meaning the whites went into the break with a well deserved lead.

HALF TIME: Stoke City 1-2 Leeds United

The Whites came out flying in the second half and got their third of the game straight after the interval. A long ball out from the back by Kris Moore saw a Stoke defender win the first header but Snowdon was the quickest to react and won the second ball. He took a touch out his feet and smashed his effort into the bottom corner, to extend the Whites’ lead!

The chances for the away side kept coming. McGrath attempted to curl a strike into the top corner after some nice interchange with Andreucci but his effort went just over.

It was then Andreucci who had another great chance to make it four. He pinched the ball back on the edge of the Stoke box and cut onto  his left foot to hit a superb effort towards the top corner, but Whitling tipped it over at full stretch to deny the striker.

This was the last chance of the afternoon with Leeds controlling the rest of the game to ensure they went back with all three points.

This fantastic performance from Gardner’s side moves Leeds up to 8th in the table going into the last game of the season, against Middlesborough at Thorp Arch next weekend.

FULL TIME: Stoke City 1-3 Leeds United