U23s Report: Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-2 Leeds United

U23s Report: Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-2 Leeds United

The Whites return to winning ways.

Premier League 2

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0

Leeds United 2 (Rodrigo 6’, 15’ pen)


Leeds: Elia Caprile, Cody Drameh, Liam McCarron, Nohan Kenneh, Charlie Cresswell (c), Gaetano Berardi (Olly Casey 45’), Stuart McKinstry, Charlie Allen, Max Dean, Rodrigo (Sam Greenwood 45’), Bobby Kamwa (Ian Poveda 45’). Subs not used: Dani Van Den Heuvel, Cole Gibbon.


Leeds secured the three points against third place Wolves on Friday afternoon, after an impressive performance at the Aggborough Stadium. Returning from injury to play 45 minutes, Rodrigo scored two goals inside the opening 15, which was enough to secure the three points. 

Mark Jackson’s side were on the front foot from the first minute and it didn’t take long to go into the lead, after an attacking run from Bobby Kamwa saw the forward brought down on the wing. 

The free-kick was clever and created space for Rodrigo to fire home from the edge of the box with a first-time effort, putting Leeds ahead after just six minutes. 

Jackson’s side were now firmly on top and had their early goal. Just 10 minutes after the opener, Max Dean was being as lively as ever by running into the box and looking to shoot, before being brought down. 

Nigel Lonwijk was shown a yellow card for the foul and there was never any doubt who would be looking to punish him for it. Up stepped Rodrigo, smashing the penalty into the bottom corner despite the best efforts of the goalkeeper who went the right way.  

A succession of efforts on goal followed. Nohan Kenneh placed an effort just wide as did Charlie Allen, whilst Stuart McKinstry saw his powerful strike well saved. 

Elia Caprile had to make an important save from Hugo Bueno down the other end and the ‘keeper was helped further by important defensive blocks by Allen and Cody Drameh. 

In the last act before the whistle, Rodrigo came close to finding his hat-trick but was to be denied by a goal-line block from the hosts, who managed to scramble his close-range header clear of the net. 


HALF TIME: Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-2 Leeds United


Leeds made all three changes at the break. Gaetano Berardi had put in another solid 45 minutes on his return from injury and went off for Olly Casey. 

Rodrigo had more than played his part in the game, being replaced by the also-returning Sam Greenwood. Ian Poveda - another back on the pitch after time out - entered in place of Kamwa. 

Greenwood and Poveda both got straight into the action and went close with efforts as they attempted to make it three. Both players hit efforts wide, but also saw chances saved by Louie Moulden who had been impressive between the posts for Wolves.  

Despite the lead, Caprile still had to be alert down the other end and he showed good reflexes by keeping out Owen Hesketh’s deflected shot. 

Leeds were controlling much of the play and showed their ability to manage the game in the remaining minutes by keeping the ball but continuing to press forward.

The final big chance arrived from another set-play, as Poveda was chopped down outside the box. Greenwood stepped up to take the free-kick and struck the top of the cross bar. 

The whistle went shortly after and Leeds had secured another hard-earned three points, getting back to winning ways at the first time of asking. 


FULL TIME: Wolverhampton Wanderers 0-2 Leeds United


Venue: Aggborough Stadium

Attendance: Behind-closed-doors

Booked: Jake Scott, Austin Samuels, Nigel Lonwijk (Wolves), Charlie Cresswell (Leeds)