U23 Report: Leeds United 1-2 Derby County

U23 Report: Leeds United 1-2 Derby County

Rams edge Whites in York.

Premier League Cup Group H

Leeds United 1 (Hudson 42)

Derby County 2 (Hector-Ingram pen 18, Hepburn-Murphy 32)


Leeds: Caprile, Douglas (Casey 45), Stanley, Struijk, Hosannah (Pov eda 52), Phillips, Kamwa, Hudson, Huggins, McCarron, Augustin (Stevens 45).  Subs not used: Male, McKinstry.


Venue: Bootham Crescent

Attendance: 886


Leeds United suffered defeat against Derby County in the Premier League Cup, meaning the Whites will exit this year’s competition at the group stage.

Derby had a great chance to open the scoring inside four minutes when Rushian Hepburn-Murphy found Josh Shonibare with a cross, but the Rams forward could only head over from close range.

The visitors were awarded a penalty in the 17th minute when Shonibare went down under a challenge of Kalvin Phillips and Derby took the lead when Jahmal Hector-Ingram converted from the spot.

Leeds almost hit back in the 28th minute.  Phillips delivered a really dangerous free kick, across the face of goal, with Bobby Kamwa unable to get a shot away.

A minute later, Derby almost doubled their lead, Hepburn-Murphy teed up Cameron Cresswell, who fired just wide from inside the Leeds box.

Derby did extend their advantage in the 32nd minute.  Shonibare delivered a nice cross from the left flank and Hepburn-Murphy found the net with a bullet header.

Liam McCarron tried to get Leeds back into the game with a run forward, before striking from 25 yards, but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

Leeds pulled a goal back three minutes before the break, Joe Stanley put in a wicked cross from the right, Jean-Kevin Augustin got a touch on it, before Theo Hudson converted at the back post.

Derby almost restored their two goal cushion though, when Shonibare weaved his way into the Leeds box before striking at goal.  He had Elia Caprile beaten, but Pascal Struijk was on hand to clear off the line.

Half time: Leeds United 1-2 Derby County

Alex Babos had the first chance of the second half, he hit a volley from 25 yards, which dropped just wide of Caprile’s goal.

Caprile was then called into action denying a Hepburn-Murphy header, following a decent cross by Archie Brown.

Leeds almost levelled the score from a corner in the 57th minute.  Phillips found Jordan Stevens with his cross and he volleyed the ball back across goal, with Struijk heading just inches over.

Kamwa was next to go close when he was found following a Stanley cross, but he could only volley wide.

Niall Huggins was then denied at the last, he weaved his way into the Derby box and had goalkeeper Mark Yates beaten with his strike, but Jordan Brown was on the line to clear.

Leeds continued to press and McCarron found Kamwa on the edge of the box with a low cross, but he saw his strike well blocked as Derby continued to hang on.

Cresswell almost sealed the win for Derby in the 74th minute from a corner, but Caprile made a fine stop to turn his header around the post.

Huggins drove into the Derby box and fired off target, whilst Stevens saw an effort well blocked, as the Rams held on for the win.

Full time: Leeds United 1-2 Derby County