FA Youth Cup: Leeds United 2-2 Sheffield Wednesday

FA Youth Cup: Leeds United 2-2 Sheffield Wednesday

Whites progress after shootout win.

FA Youth Cup fourth round

Leeds United 2 (Jenkins 67, Cox O.G. 93)

Sheffield Wednesday 2 (Hagan 46, Zottos 104)

Leeds United win 5-4 on penalties

Leeds: Skerry, Pilkington, Kenneh, Cresswell, Shergill (Thornton 105), Jenkins, Galloway, Gibbon, McMillan (Bray 74), McKinstry (Rigby 117), Haugland (Kumwenda 52).  Subs not used: Turner, Moore, Leverett.

Booked: Shergill, Galloway, Gibbon (Leeds)

Venue: Global Stadium, Tadcaster


Henri Kumwenda scored the winning spot kick as Leeds United defeated Sheffield Wednesday 5-4 on penalties, to progress to the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup.

Under-18s head coach Mark Jackson named a strong side for the tie, including Charlie Cresswell, Jack Jenkins, Nohan Kenneh and Stuart McKinstry who have all featured for the Under-23s this season.

Leeds had the first chance of the match, Niklas Haugland drove down the left, before firing just inches off target.

Sheffield Wednesday threatened in the 12th minute when Michael Ellery drove forward and teed up Alex Bonnington and he fired just wide.

Lewis Farmer then stole possession in the Leeds half, he drove forwards for the Owls and into the Whites box, firing his attempt into the side netting.

Max McMillan saw a strike deflect wide before Josh Galloway broke down the right flank, before striking on goal, forcing Owls stopper Luke Jackson into action.

Stuart McKinstry fired over from a long way out, before McMillan played in Haugland, but he saw his strike well blocked, as the two sides went in level.

Half time: Leeds United 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Sheffield took the lead less than a minute into the second half.  Luke Hall played a defence splitting pass to send Charles Hagan through on goal and he kept his cool, slotting home.

Leeds almost got back into the game in the 64th minute, Jenkins teed up Galloway, but he could only fire over.

The Whites levelled the score four minutes later at a corner, captain Cresswell fired a header towards goal and Jenkins headed home from close range.

Leeds then had Skerry to thank for keeping the scores level.  First Hagan drove forwards before unleashing a strike from the edge of the box, before Farmer brought out a really good stop from the Whites stopper with a long range strike.

With a minute of regular time remaining when Wednesday stopper Jackson handled outside of his box to prevent Galloway a goal-scoring opportunity.  Despite this he was only shown a yellow card and Cresswell fired the resulting free kick from 25 yards well over, ensuring the game went to extra time.

End of 90 minutes: Leeds United 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Leeds almost made a dream start to extra time straight from the kick off, when Galloway stole the ball from Declan Thompson, but the Owls defender recovered to prevent him from getting a shot away.

The Whites took the lead for the first time in the match in the 93rd minute.  Substitute Kumwenda superbly turned his man and Galloway was just inches away from getting on the end of it and converting.  The ball the fell to McKinstry and his cross was turned in by Owls defender Luke Cox.

The Owls almost levelled the scores five minutes later.  Charlie Reaney floated a free kick into the Leeds box and only an outstanding save by Skerry to deny a Thompson header kept Leeds in front.

Hagan, who was a constant threat for the Owls was then played in on goal and tried to dink the ball over the out-coming Skerry, but the Whites stopper made a good save.

Half time of extra time: Leeds United 2-2 Sheffield Wednesday

Hagan had another chance when he latched onto a defensive mistake following a long goal kick, but he couldn’t find the target when through on goal, firing over.

Leeds then had a great chance following a free kick, Galloway put the ball back into the Wednesday box and McKinstry beat the offside trap, but could only fire into the side netting.

Cresswell almost won it deep into extra time, trying to bundle the ball home, but the offside flag prevented him from doing so, ensuring the game went to penalties.

End of extra time: Leeds United 2-2 Sheffield Wednesday


Sheff W: Farmer missed (Skerry saved) (0-0)

Leeds: Cresswell scored (1-0)

Sheff W: Thompson scored (1-1)

Leeds: Gibbon scored (2-1)

Sheff W: Kenyon scored (2-2)

Leeds: Jenkins scored (3-2)

Sheff W: Ellery scored (3-3)

Leeds: Kenneh scored (4-3)

Sheff W: Vasaldo scored (4-4)

Leeds: Kumwenda scored (5-4)

Full time: Leeds United win 5-4 on penalties