Report: FC United of Manchester 5-4 Leeds United Women

Report: FC United of Manchester 5-4 Leeds United Women

Whites beaten away from home.

FAWNL Division One North

FC United of Manchester 5 (Jein 14’, 85', O’Carroll 55’, Lewis 72’, Lawrence 87')

Leeds United Women 4 (Dobson 9’, 53’, Astle 67’, Hughes 90+1’)

FCUM: Donald (GK), Lewis, Jein, Bickett, Kershaw, O’Carroll, McCaffrey, Settle (Lawrence 60’), Ritchie (Carlin 70’), Gordon (Jones 60’), Walton. Subs not used: Hayes. 

Leeds: Simpson (GK), Jakeman, Smart (C), Turner, Elliot, Hughes, Danby, Dobson, Pizzarello (Firth 19’, Bartup 77’), Rousseau, Astle. Subs not used: Megeary, Waldron, Price.

Referee: Christopher Lawson

Booked: Danby, Turner (Leeds)

Venue: Broadhurst Park

Leeds United Women fell to a narrow defeat in a nine-goal thriller, as they were edged out 5-4 by FC United of Manchester at Broadhurst Park on Thursday night. 

Simon Wood’s side got off to the perfect start as they took the lead inside nine minutes. Charlyann Pizzarello played a lovely ball in behind to Jess Rousseau, she then cut the ball back to Ellie Dobson, who calmly slotted it into the bottom corner.

The hosts hit back almost instantly though, as Shaunna Jein let fly from range, her effort skidded across the wet surface and found the bottom corner to level.

In what were difficult conditions, Leeds continued to try play their football. Sarah Danby produced a dangerous cross towards the back post, but Dobson couldn’t divert her header onto the target.

Just after the half-hour mark, Sacha Lewis nearly created a great chance for the hosts. She burst down the right-wing and played a ball across the face of goal, but Neishai Gordon couldn’t get on the end of it.

In the latter stages of the opening 45 minutes, Leeds were on the front foot. Alice Hughes did well to create a shooting opportunity on the edge of the box, but she could only find Sophie Donald’s palms with her strike.

With virtually the last kick off the half, Ella Ritchie thought she had given her side the lead, only for her to see the effort cannon off the crossbar. That meant the teams went in level.

HALF TIME: FC United of Manchester 1-1 Leeds United Women

Both sides came out for the second half unchanged and it was the hosts who had the first effort of the half. Gordon found herself in space on the right edge of the box, but she couldn’t find the target.

In the 53rd minute, Leeds regained the lead! Dobson played a lovely one-two with Rousseau and she found herself through on goal, before rifling it into the roof of the net. 

Just two minutes later the hosts drew level once more. Gordon did well to win a free kick, O’Carroll stepped up to take it and she hit the target to make it all square.

The game started to open up more and Rousseau was presented with a golden opportunity to take the lead. Katie Astle did brilliantly down the left to beat her marker, she cut it back to Rousseau, but the forward couldn’t keep the effort down.

As the chances started to come for Leeds, they took the lead once again on the 67th minute. Danby delivered an in-swinging corner and Astle was there to glance it into the back of the net, to get a third of the night for Wood’s side.

After Leeds looked to be in control of the game, it took another twist as the hosts equalised yet again, this time through Lewis. McCaffrey played her in behind and she lifted the ball over the keeper from close range.

With just over five minutes to play the hosts took the lead for the first time in the match. Jein struck a free kick from range and the strike found the top corner.

Just two minutes later the hosts added another, to make it 5-3. Lewis, who had caused problems all night down the right flank, delivered a cross and Naomi Lawrence was there to convert. 

In the final moments of the game, Alice Hughes pulled a goal back for Leeds, Danby delivered a free kick and Hughes flicked it into the bottom corner.

Despite a late rally and their best efforts, that would be the last of the key moments in the game as the referee brought the match to an end, meaning the hosts claimed all three points. 

FULL TIME: FC United of Manchester 5-4 Leeds United Women