Young full-back extends his stay at Elland Road...
We are pleased to confirm that young full-back Lewie Coyle has signed a new two-year deal with the club.
Coyle, the captain of our Under-21s side, was originally under contract until the end of the season but has now extended his Elland Road stay after impressing during the opening months of the campaign.
The 20-year-old, who has progressed through the ranks at Thorp Arch, received high praise from Steve Evans last week ahead of Friday’s friendly at Wycombe, with the head coach confirming he “would have certainly played a part” at Adams Park had it not been for suspension.
Coyle has regularly trained with the first team since the start of the summer and was part of the travelling squad for our pre-season tour of Austria and Norway. He still awaits his senior debut but that appears to be closer than ever after being rewarded with a new deal.
“I’m delighted; committing my future here is something I’ve looked forward to doing,” Coyle told leedsunited.com.
“I got a one-year contract in the summer and my aim was to always extend that by doing well and impressing. Hopefully I would then get handed a longer deal and I’m delighted that’s happened.
“I only started hearing about it a few weeks ago, but I didn’t believe it until it actually happened. I’m just looking forward to cracking on now.
“I think the idea is to get me out on loan and play some competitive games but, first and foremost, my aim is to play for Leeds United and make my debut here.
“If that means going out and having a little spell on loan to get some experience under my belt and get some games, then that’ll be the case. I’m more than happy to do that.”
Speaking about Coyle ahead of Friday’s 2-0 win at Wycombe, Evans said: “I love that boy and he’s got a real chance, but he’s suspended and the FA advised us that we can’t involve him at Wycombe, otherwise he would have been.
“His time will come. In the short term we need to get him playing men’s football from Under-21s – there’s a world of difference when three points are at stake.
“We need to get him playing football. Whether that’s sending him out for a little while... We’re looking at all the options now.
“He’s training with the first team every day now and in two-and-a-half to three weeks, I’ve seen him get much, much better. And I mean significantly better.”
Former boss Uwe Rosler also spoke highly of the right-back’s prospects during the summer.
Coyle said: “I came back from the summer in good shape and impressed Uwe Rosler in pre-season and went away on the tour with him. I thought I did well there.
“I’m glad that’s continued as I did wonder what might happen when he went and if it would affect anything, but that’s football and I had to get on with it.
“Luckily for me, Steve Evans has come in and he’s had good words to say about me as a reflection on how well I’ve done recently.”
On the recent red card which ruled him out at Wycombe, Coyle added: “It was just bad timing but that’s football and it was my doing, getting that red card. I can’t look too much into it.
“It’s nice that I would have been involved and that’s pleasing to hear, so I’ve just got to carry on doing well and hopefully I will get my chance.”