Report: Leicester City 2-0 Leeds United

Report: Leicester City 2-0 Leeds United

Whites beaten at the King Power Stadium.

Premier League

Leicester City 2 (Koch og 17’, Barnes 35’)

Leeds United 0

Leicester: Ward (GK), Justin, Faes, Barnes (Iheanacho 85’), Tielemans (C), Vardy (Daka 64’), Amartey, Dewsbury-Hall, Praet (Perez 70’), Castagne, Soumare (Mendy 64’). Subs not used: Iversen (GK), Vestergaard, Iversen, Thomas, Braybrooke, Wormleighton. 

Leeds: Meslier (GK), Firpo (Klich 82’), Koch (Cooper 45’), Aaronson, Roca (Rodrigo 45’), Bamford (C) (Harrison 65’), Summerville, Adams, Llorente, Sinisterra (Gelhardt 75’), Kristensen. Subs not used: Klaesson (GK), Ayling, Gnonto, Greenwood.

Venue: King Power Stadium 

Attendance: 30,814

Referee: Peter Bankes

Booked: Soumare, Tielemans (Leicester) Koch (Leeds)

Leeds United failed to end their recent run of matches without a win, after losing to Leicester City at the King Power Stadium. Two first half goals from the hosts were enough to secure the points against Jesse Marsch’s side, who were unable to mount a comeback. 

When the game got underway, Leeds controlled large parts of it for the opening 15 minutes or so, seeing plenty of the ball and pushing forward into the opposition half. The chances though were limited to set-plays, which the hosts dealt well with. 

An unfortunate touch from Marc Roca in defence saw the midfielder dispossessed by Jamie Vardy, which lead to the opening goal of the game, going the way of the home side. 

When Vardy stole possession, he played the ball down the wing for Dennis Praet. From there, he crossed low into the middle and whilst trying to clear the ball, Robin Koch was unlucky to turn it into his own goal, beyond Illan Meslier. 

Leeds went back on the attack after going behind. Luis Sinisterra and Brenden Aaronson looked lively, with the former seeing a strike deflected behind for a corner. Moments later, the winger went even closer after a quick break, smashing the crossbar with his latest attempt. 

On the opposite wing, Crysencio Summerville was causing problems with his pace. However, in a similar fashion to the previous attempts, when he had a good chance in the box his strike was also off target. 

The Foxes then doubled their advantage, with 10 minutes to go until the interval. Harvey Barnes was in space and slotted home at the back post, turning home from Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall’s well-timed pass. 

That was to be it in what had been a hugely frustrating half for United at the King Power Stadium, meaning they went into the dressing room two-goals behind.  

HALF TIME: Leicester City 2-0 Leeds United 

Marsch made a double change at the break. Liam Cooper was brought back into the defence in place of Koch, who had picked up a yellow card late in the first half, whilst Rodrigo came on for Roca. 

From an inswinging Aaronson free-kick, Diego Llorente acrobatically attempted an over-head-kick which was blocked as it was heading towards goal, with Cooper then forcing a save from Danny Ward on the follow up. 

Further changes came from both dugouts. Jack Harrison & Joe Gelhardt came on for Leeds, replacing Patrick Bamford and Sinisterra as the team continued to look for new ways to get back into the match. 

Content with their two-goal advantage, Brendan Rodgers saw his side stay relatively deep during the majority of the second half, inviting Leeds onto them then defending well when required to do so, then threatening with quick counter attacks where possible. 

No further goals arrived meaning the home side secured the three points. The Whites next return to Premier League action against Fulham, at Elland Road on Sunday afternoon.

FULL TIME: Leicester City 2-0 Leeds United