U23 Report: Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Leeds United

U23 Report: Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Leeds United

Wolves fight back in Premier League Cup.

Premier League Cup Group H

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 (Ashley-Seal 41, Cundle 65)

Leeds United 2 (McKinstry 20, 36)


Leeds: Miazek, Kenneh, Hudson, Casey (Stanley 45), Cresswell, Jenkins, Kamwa, Bogusz (McCalmont 30) (Shackleton 62), McKinstry, Haugland, Edmondson.  Subs not used: Caprile, Kumwenda.


Stuart McKinstry's brace was not enough to secure Leeds United's Under-23s a first Premier League Cup win of the season as Wolves fought back to earn a draw at the Sir Jack Hayward Training Ground.

Wolves had the first chance of the game inside eight minutes.  Dion Sanderson played a neat one-two with Luke Cundle, to break into the box, but he struck just wide.

Benny Ashley-Seal threatened for the home side when he drove into the Whites box, but he was denied by a really good low save from Kamil Miazek.

Leeds’ first opportunity came in the 20th minute and the Whites made it count by opening the scoring.  Mateusz Bogusz stole possession deep into the Wolves half and he played in Ryan Edmondson.  The striker’s effort was denied by Andreas Sondergaard, but there was no stopping Stuart McKinstry with the rebound.

Four minutes later Leeds had a great chance to double the lead.  Once more Bogusz stole possession and played in Edmondson, but the forward saw his effort hit the post.

The Whites had Kamil Miazek for keeping Leeds in front, he made a super double save to deny Ryan Giles and Ashley-Seal as the hosts looked to level.

However, following the saves, Leeds broke up the pitch and McKinstry superbly drove up the pitcha and weaved his way through the Wolves defence.  He saw his first strike denied by Sondergaard, but the Wolves goalkeeper could do nothing about his rebound.

With four minutes of the first half remaining Wolves got themselves back into the match, when Ashley-Seal worked his way into the Leeds area before firing home.

Half time: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Leeds United

Wolves had a decent opportunity at the start of the second half when Owen Otasowie dribbled into the Leeds box, but Miazek was on hand to make another really good stop.

McKinstry looking for his hat-trick almost got it in the 50th minute, when he was teed up just inside the Wolves box, but he saw his strike superbly saved.

The Whites again went close when substitute Alfie McCalmont delivered a nice cross from the left, but Charlie Cresswell could only volley wide.

Wolves pulled level in the 65th minute, Cundle was found in the Leeds box with a low pass and he converted well from close range.

A minute later, the hosts nearly took the lead.  Ashley-Seal worked his way into the Leeds box, but couldn’t get the better of Miazek with a powerful shot.

Wolves had a great chance to go in front through substitute Chem Campbell.  Cundle laid the ball off to him in the Leeds box, but Campbell could only fire over when well placed.

With eight minutes remaining Wolves should have taken the lead.  Cundle found Campbell and his strike was denied by Miazek and from the rebound Ashley-Seal missed an open net, putting his effort wide.

Full time: Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Leeds United