REPORT: Leeds United Women 3-1 Barnsley Women's FC

Whites take all three points in Yorkshire derby.


FAWNL Division One North

Leeds United Women 3 (Hamill 36’, Rousseau 54’, Brown 57’)

Barnsley Women 1 (Watson 41’)

Leeds United Women: Simpson (GK), Hindle, Hamill, Elliot, Smart (C), Price (Underdown 90+3), Danby, Smith, Ellis, Rousseau (Astle 79’), Brown (Williams 90’).

Barnsley Women: Clarke (GK), Myles (C), Shaw, Watson, Jexoldfield, Csomor, Pierrepont, Biggins, Marsden, Millard (Marshall 79’), Beck. Subs not used: Cheetham, Hurdiss, Brown, Snelson.

Venue: So-Trak Stadium, Tadcaster Albion AFC

Referee: J Smith

Booked: Biggins (Booked 68’ Sent off 85’)

Leeds United Women took all three points in an entertaining Yorkshire derby under the lights at the So-Trak Stadium.

Rick Passmoor made two changes to the side that were beaten 2-0 by league leaders Durham Cestria on Sunday, as Rachel Hindle and Macy Ellis replaced Bridie Hannon and Paige Williams in the starting XI. Williams dropped to the bench where she was joined by young forward, Katie Astle.

An eventful first half saw Leeds enjoy the better chances in the game, but they were made to wait for their breakthrough by Barnsley keeper Serena Clarke.

Both sides started the game brightly, with Barnsley forward Brooke Marsden testing Carrie Simpson after just two minutes, but the Leeds stopper saved well.

Less than a minute later, Abbie Brown had a chance but on her weaker right foot and off balance, she couldn’t get enough power on her shot and Clarke got down to push away.

Clarke was on hand again on eight minutes, pushing away Brown’s cross and no Leeds player was arriving in the box to finish.

Ellis was proving a real threat for the Barnsley defence, with her pace down the right an outlet for Leeds. She had her first chance of the evening on 10 minutes when Rachel Hindle played a pass over the full-back for Ellis to run on to, she raced clear but a cruel bobble made her slice wide.

At the other end, Louise Biggins went close after charging Izzy Elliot’s clearance down but her low shot whistled just wide of Simpson’s post.

Barnsley came close again on 21 minutes, Emily Pierrepont’s dangerous corner evaded Simpson but Hamill headed clear from under her own crossbar.

Leeds managed to survive Barnsley’s best spell before gaining control of the game. Olivia Smart had a chance on the break but fired over on her left foot.

Smart then looked to turn provider, slipping Ellis through on goal but the winger couldn’t bury a golden chance, shooting straight at Clarke on 25 minutes.

Ellis’ frustrations in front of goal grew two minutes later, it looked nailed on that she would bury after Rousseau had a shot saved by Clarke, but she couldn’t sort her feet out and Clarke recovered to scramble away.

Leeds’ breakthrough finally came on 36 minutes, Hamill on hand to head in her second goal in the space of a week from Smart’s corner.

But after all Leeds’ hard work to get ahead, their advantage was quickly cancelled out as Nat Watson’s superb strike from 30 yards nestled in the top corner to make it 1-1 going into the break.

HALF TIME: Leeds United Women 1-1 Barnsley Women

The visitors came out on top in the second half, Emily Pierrepont curled a shot over less than a minute after the restart before Amy Beck and Biggins saw efforts saved by Simpson.

Just as Leeds were seemingly on the back foot, they were clinical on the break to retake the lead, as Ellis squared for Rousseau who buried her chance from six yards out.

Less than three minutes later the Whites extended their lead as Brown netted the pick of the goals. Hindle’s deep cross was struck on the volley by Brown and the ball bounced in off the post.

Barnsley went in search of an instant response to get back in the game and Simpson made a key save to deny Pierrepont after she had beaten the offside trap.

Barnsley kept pressing and came close to making it 3-2 on 81 minutes but Hamill showed brilliant defensive instincts to clear off the line as Brooke Marsden’s strike was headed for the bottom corner.

Hopes of getting back into the game for the Reds were dented on 85 minutes when Biggins was shown a second yellow card and subsequent red, for a dive in the box.

Leeds saw the game out to claim an impressive three points over their Yorkshire rivals.

The Whites are back at the So-Trak Stadium on Sunday for their final home game of the season, with title-chasing Newcastle United the visitors.

FULL TIME: Leeds United Women 3-1 Barnsley Women

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03