Report: Burnley 0-4 Leeds United

Another three points secured.

Report Burnley banner 2.jpg

Premier League

Burnley 0

Leeds United 4 (Klich 44, Harrison 60, Rodrigo 77, 79)

Burnley: Peacock-Farrell, Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Taylor, Cork, Brownhill, Westwood, McNeil (Gudmundsson 70), Wood (Barnes 65), Vydra (Rodriguez 65). Subs not used: Norris, Pieters, Nartey, Dunne, Richardson.

Leeds: Meslier, Ayling, Struijk, Llorente, Alioski, Phillips, Dallas, Klich (Roberts 76), Raphinha (Poveda 81), Harrison, Bamford (Rodrigo 58).  Subs: Casilla, Cooper, Davis, Berardi, Shackleton, Jenkins.

Leeds head coach Marcelo Bielsa made two changes from the side which beat Tottenham Hotspur last time out, with Kalvin Phillips and Raphinha replacing Robin Koch and Tyler Roberts in the starting line-up.

After a couple of early corners for the hosts, Burnley had the first attempt inside four minutes when Matej Vydra teed up Josh Brownhill on the edge of the box, with the Clarets midfielder striking wide.

Leeds’ first opportunity came six minutes later. First Patrick Bamford was denied by former Whites stopper Bailey Peacock-Farrell, before Ezgjan Alioski saw a volley which was heading in, well blocked by James Tarkowski.

Stuart Dallas then went close when he was setup by Alioski to strike from 20 yards, but he saw his effort deflect wide following a good challenge by Dwight McNeil.

The Whites came so close to making a breakthrough from a corner. The set-piece was played short to Luke Ayling who played the ball to Kalvin Phillips and his cross was met by the head of Pascal Struijk unmarked, but he pulled his header just inches wide.

Leeds continued to look dangerous, and Phillips sent Harrison forward with a lovely pass and his low cross was missed by Bamford, before bouncing up for Raphinha who saw an acrobatic effort go over.

The persistence of the Whites paid off just before half time. Leeds hit Burnley on the counterattack and Mateusz Klich picked the ball up in his own half, before driving forwards and finding the back of the net with a lovely curling strike from 20 yards.

In stoppage time Ashley Westwood saw a free-kick denied by Illan Meslier in a rare first half save for the Leeds stopper, as the Whites went in ahead at the break.


The hosts made the brighter start to the second half and almost levelled the scores six minutes in. The ball sat up kindly for Ashley Westwood to strike from 25 yards on the half volley, with his attempt going narrowly wide.

Leeds had Meslier to thank for keeping the scores level soon after. Vydra stole possession for the Clarets in the Whites half before weaving his way into the Leeds box and only a brilliant save denied him.

Former Leeds forward Chris Wood then tried his luck from the edge of the box, but he was unable to find the target.

It was Leeds though who doubled the lead in the 60th minute from a corner.  The ball fell to Alioski on the edge of the box and his volley was turned in by Harrison from close range.

Westwood hit a curling effort wide from range as he looked to get the home side back into the game, but he was unable to test Meslier.

Burnley substitute Johann Gudmundsson then played a neat one-two to break into the Leeds box, but once again Meslier refused to be beaten.

Leeds added a third goal in the 77th minute. Harrison played a pass to the feet of substitute Rodrigo who turned superbly, before dinking the ball over Peacock-Farrell and into the net.

Two minutes later Leeds made it four. Harrison played Rodrigo through on goal and he superbly rounded Peacock-Farrell before slotting home.

Tarkowski had a good opportunity to pull a consolation goal back from a Burnley corner, but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

In the final minutes Tyler Roberts made a darting run with the ball down the middle of the pitch before taking a shot at goal but it was easily stopped by former teammate Peacock-Farrell.

After an exhilarating second-half Leeds were able to secure another three points, keeping their 11th clean sheet of the season.


Booked: Westwood (Burnley), Phillips (Leeds)

Referee: G. Scott

Venue: Turf Moor

Attendance: Behind-closed-doors

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03