Report: Wolves Women 3-1 Leeds United Women

Whites exit the FAWNL Cup.



Wolves Women 3 (Joyce 14’, Price 45', 90’)

Leeds United Women 1 (Bartup 57’)

Wolves: Thomas, Price (C), George, Hughes (Palmer 86), Evans (Cooper 76), Thomas, Dicken, Darby, Morphet (Elsmore 90+1), Joyce (Butler 58), Merrick (Miller 64).

Leeds: Joyce, Smart, Hunter, Hamill (C), Hannon, Danby, Williams, K Hunt, Smith (Underdown 67), Brown, Bartup (Trickett 89): Sub not used: Wattam.

Leeds United Women bowed out of the League Cup at the first hurdle, despite a spirited performance away at Wolverhampton Wanderers Women on Sunday afternoon.

The home side started on the attack and almost immediately from the kick off took the lead as Lauren Joyce made two fine saves from her namesake Leo Joyce.

It was third time for Leo as she cut into the penalty area before firing in to give hosts the lead on 14 minutes. It was nearly two, three minutes later when Kate Evans fired wide from 20 yards out.

Leeds started to find their feet and came within a whisker of an equaliser when Laura Bartup smashed a shot against the crossbar after a brilliant through ball from Kathryn Smith.

Leo Joyce was again causing Leeds problems as Lauren Joyce got down well to palm away her low drive.

Leeds were growing in confidence with Sarah Danby firing just over from 25 yards. The visitors then came close to levelling five minutes before the break when Bartup's flick was held by Thomas.

The play quickly moved to the other end with Amber Hughes heading just wide from an Ami Dicken cross. The hosts did get their second in stoppage time when Anna Price headed home from a free kick.

HALF TIME: Wolves Women 2-0 Leeds United Women

The Black and Golds were straight on the attack at the start of the second period with Anna Morphet shooting over when well placed.

Leeds had a great chance to reduce the deficit after 50 minutes when Kathryn Smith fired over following a great cross from Sarah Danby.

Leeds did half the arrears when Laura Bartup headed in from a Olivia Smart corner, rising highest amongst the crowd and bringing her side back into the cup tie.

The visitors then survived a huge left off when Amber Hughes hit the inside of the post when clean through.

Leeds followed up with their own great chance to take the tie into an extra 30 minutes, when Bartup saw her shot blocked by the last defender.

Wolves looked to finish the game off when Ali Miller curled a shot just wide of bar and post.

The hosts then sealed a place in the next round deep into stoppage time when Anna Price scrambled in her second from a corner

FULL TIME: Wolves Women 3-1 Women Leeds United Women

Venue: CKW Stadium

Referee: T Wall

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03