Report: Huddersfield Town 1-1 Leeds United

All the action from the West Yorkshire derby.


Sky Bet Championship

Huddersfield Town 1 (Helik 45’)

Leeds United 1 (Bamford 67’)

Huddersfield: Nicholls (GK), Pearson, Hogg (C), Burgzorg (Koroma 72’), Rudoni, Thomas, Spencer (Headley 72’), Kasumu, Ward (Matos 45’), Lees, Nakayama (Helik 26’). Subs not used: Maxwell (GK), Radulovic, Diarra, Edwards, Wiles.

Leeds: Meslier (GK), Firpo (Anthony 86’), Ampadu (C), Kamara (Piroe 62’), Bamford, Summerville, Rodon, Gray (Roberts 62’), Rutter, Gnonto (James 62’), Gruev. Subs not used: Darlow (GK), Cresswell, Cooper, Byram, Joseph.

Referee: Andrew Kitchen

Booked: Hogg, Kasumu, Pearson, Headley (Huddersfield) Georginio (Leeds)

Sent-off: Hogg (Huddersfield)

Venue: John Smith’s Stadium

Attendance: 22,351

Leeds United faced Huddersfield Town away from home and added another point to their Sky Bet Championship tally, after coming from behind at the John Smith’s Stadium.

Daniel Farke’s side had the first big chance of the match, down the Town right hand side of the pitch. Archie Gray broke free and played it inside, allowing Willy Gnonto and Glen Kamara to link up, before Crysencio Summerville shot and forced Lee Nicholls into a good save.

Huddersfield made into a change midway through the first half. Jonathan Hogg had fouled Summerville and in doing so, also caught up his own teammate Yuta Nakayama in the incident, meaning Michal Helik was brought on in his place. Hogg received a yellow.

The game was very stop-start. Players on both sides received treatment which created stoppages in the play and there were also plenty of fouls. Joining their captain the book, both David Kasumu and Matty Pearson were also booked for late challenges on United players.

In a first 45 minutes that had seen very little goalmouth action, it would be the Terriers who would go into the lead before the break. Meslier saved well from Pearson’s header, before substitute Helik was in the right place at the right time to fire home the rebound.

Nine minutes of stoppage time was announced following the goal after the delays in the first half. The referee’s whistle and book would come out again, as Hogg was shown a second yellow and then a red card, for an elbow on Junior Firpo.

Looking to get back on level terms, the Whites would go close. Good work from Summerville created space for Georginio, but his strike went narrowly past the post, with the whistle then going moments later to signal the break.

HALF TIME: Huddersfield Town 1-0 Leeds United

The home side made another change at the interval. They replaced Danny Ward with Alex Matos, shortly before getting the second half underway. Leeds remained with the same XI which started the game.

In the opening period of the second half, the game followed a similar pattern to the first. It was still very stop-start, with fouls disrupting the game at either end, and the only real chances coming from set-plays.

Farke made a triple change and it had an instant impact on the match. Dan James, Connor Roberts and Joel Piroe came on in place of Kamara, Gray and Gnonto.

Instantly into the action, James and Roberts combined on the right side of the pitch, with Roberts playing a ball across the box perfectly for Patrick Bamford to fire home and level the scores.

After the goal, Leeds continued to press and did have further chances on goal. Both Summerville and Georginio had openings, both of which narrowly missed the target. At the opposite end, Pearson also had a header on goal, which went just past the post.

Entering stoppage time and still searching for another goal in the game, the Whites kept throwing everything forward, but found the Huddersfield defence standing firm until the whistle, meaning each side would finish with a point apiece.

FULL TIME: Huddersfield Town 1-1 Leeds United

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03