FAYC Report: Leeds United U18 4-3 Millwall U18

Whites progress to the final.


FA Youth Cup Semi Final

Leeds United U18 4 (Chadwick pen 27’, Crew 32’, Beaumont OG 58’, Whiteman OG 71’)

Millwall U18 3 (Heywood 18’, Stephenson 54’, Beaumont 60’)

Leeds: Mahady (GK), Richards, Toulson (C), Crew (Pickles 87’), Cresswell, Lopata-White, Vincent, Chadwick, Lane, Chambers (Brockie 90’), McDonald (Render 84’). Subs not used: Grainger (GK), Billett, Bird, Brown.

Millwall: Penney (GK), Mansor, Olugbodi, Massey, Whiteman (Ojemen 79’), Stephenson (C), Beaumont (Kendall 89’), Maciocia, O’Boyle (Abdulazeez 79’), Heywood, Howland. Subs not used: Whitby, Przewozny, Vieira, Forbes.

Referee: Thomas Kirk

Booked: Massey, Mansor (Millwall)

Venue: Elland Road

Attendance: 10,493

Leeds United Under-18s made yet more history as they booked their spot in the FA Youth Cup final for the first time in 27 years, with a 4-3 victory over Millwall Under-18s.

As I Predict A Riot rang out at the full-time whistle, the players and staff celebrated with over 10,000 supporters inside Elland Road, knowing they had come out on top of a scintillating cup tie, setting up a mouth-watering clash with Manchester City for a chance to add their names to the record books.

The young Whites almost got off to the dream start when Joe Richards threaded a fine through ball for Josh McDonald to latch onto on the left. The winger controlled well before lashing a fierce effort into the side netting from the edge of the area.

The bright start from McDonald continued, when the Scottish talent charged on a marauding run from the left, darting in-field and eventually finding Harvey Vincent. The winger took the chance on early, seeing his effort blocked well by a blue shirt.

Despite the early pressure from United, the visitors grabbed the lead somewhat against the run of play, when forward Kavali Heywood was well placed to head home Frankie Maciocia's cross from the left.

Rory Mahady was then required to prevent the Lions from doubling their tally, getting down well to make a fine diving save to deny Jack Howland's long-range drive.

Just before the half-hour mark, the Whites were presented with a glorious opportunity to level proceedings from the spot, when Rhys Chadwick was brought down inside the area by Harvey Whiteman.

The midfielder stepped up himself to take it, sending Albert Penney the wrong way before wheeling away in celebration in front of a jubilant East Stand.

Moments later, Charlie Crew fired Etherington’s side into lead with a composed finish as Millwall failed to deal with a corner from the left. The ball bounced to the Welsh midfielder who drilled home low beyond Penney and to put United ahead.

Freddie Lane had two sights of goal before the break, first curling an effort wide from the edge of the area before forcing Penney into a good save from a narrow angle.

HALF TIME: Leeds United U18 2-1 Millwall U18

Moments after the break, McDonald had a great chance to make it three as he picked up the ball on halfway on the break, racing past Millwall’s last defender to go through on goal.

With Vincent in space for the winger to square it, McDonald instead went for goal himself, firing inches past the far post.

Shortly afterwards, the Lions drew level through Joshua Stephenson, with the Millwall skipper on hand to bundle the ball home after corner from the left.

Within moments however, the Whites restored the lead when Chadwick's corner deflected off Adedapo Olugbodi, onto George Beaumont and into the back of the net!

As quickly as Leeds had taken the lead, the visitors were back level once more, with Beaumont making immediate amends as he lashed an equaliser into roof of the net after the ball rather fortuitously flicked off Reuben Lopata-White and over Mahady.

McDonald then had a chance to restore the Whites’ advantage, forcing a fine close-range save from Penney in front of the Revie Stand after great play down the left saw the attacker find space.

Chadwick, whose set piece deliveries had been superb all evening, swung another superb corner in from the right with just under 20 minutes left, which Lopata-White and Alfie Cresswell were inches away from getting on the end of.

The chance wasn’t to go begging however, as the ball clattered off Harvey Whiteman and in for Millwall's second own goal in just over 10 minutes to put Leeds 4-3 up.

From there, the Whites took control of proceedings and went close to adding a fifth, with Olugbodi doing superbly well to head Cresswell's goalbound header off the line.

With the last kick off the game, Stephenson lashed over from inside the Leeds penalty before the full-time whistle sounded, sparking wild scenes of celebrations inside Elland Road as the Whites booked their spot in the final!

FULL TIME: Leeds United U18 4-3 Millwall U18

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03