U18s Report: Leeds United 1-2 Wolves

Whites beaten at Thorp Arch.

ollie pickles v wolves u18.jpg

U18 Premier League North

Leeds United 1 (Pickles 80’)

Wolves 2 (McLeod 61’, Carson 85’)

Leeds: Kenyon (GK), Richards (Dudley 46’), Billett, Cresswell, Bird, Pickles, Toulson (C), Vincent (Douglas 65’), Brown (Morris 70’), Lane, Gray (McDonald 46’). Sub not used: Grainger.

Wolves: Benjamin (GK), Reynolds, Voice, Carson, Igbinoghene, Harper, Bradbury, Rees (Ashworth 63’), McLeod, Angel, Ji (Nyakudya 71’). Subs not used: Hardy, Mandey, Stevens.

Booked: McLeod, Reynolds, Igbinoghene (Wolves)

Venue: Thorp Arch

Leeds United Under-18s fell to a 2-1 defeat against Wolves Under-18s in their final home game of the season on Wednesday afternoon at Thorp Arch.

Oliver Pickles thought he had done enough to earn the Whites a draw, but a late winner from Hayden Carson meant that Wolves went home with all three points.

The visitors started the game the better of the two, with the first chance coming inside five minutes. Caden Voice played Daniel Angel in behind, who rounded the keeper but could only find the side netting with his effort.

Leeds then had a chance of their own through Harvey Vincent. Harry Gray picked the ball up on the left and cut the ball back to the winger who took one touch and had an effort on goal, but his shot was saved well by Lewys Benjamin.

In a half that produced very little chances, Leeds nearly took the lead shortly before the break.

Gray once again picked up the ball on the left and beat his man, this time cutting it back to Joe Richards whose effort cannoned off Coban Bird and went narrowly over the bar.

HALF TIME: Leeds United U18 0-0 Wolves U18

Both teams came back out for the second half with Rob Etherington making two changes as Louie Dudley and Josh McDonald replaced Richards and Gray.

The Whites started the second half more on the front foot and within ten minutes of the restart they created their best chance yet. McDonald did well to slip Lleyton Brown through on goal, but Benjamin was out quickly to save the attacker's effort.

After a good start from the hosts, the visitors took the lead just five minutes later when Connor McLeod struck from range and it creeped into the bottom corner.

Substitute Joshua Nyakudya had a golden opportunity to double Wolves’ advantage on the 70th minute. On debut, George Kenyon made a terrific save but could only palm the ball to Nyakudya who look destined to score from close range, but he couldn’t keep his effort on target.

With ten minutes left on the clock, Pickles brought Etherington’s side level. Alfie Cresswell played a lovely ball through the lines to the midfielder who took one touch in the box, turned, and fired it into the bottom corner.

As the game opened up with both sides pushing for the victory, it was Wolves who found a winner with a little under five minutes to play. A deep free kick was kept alive at the back post, dropping at the feet of Carson who rifled home from close range.

Leeds desperately searched for a leveller in the last few moments of the game but were unable to create any clear-cut chances before the referee brought the game to and end.

The result leaves Leeds fifth in the league, as they travel to Newcastle United on Saturday for their final league game of the season.

FULL TIME: Leeds United U18 1-2 Wolves U18

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03