Report: Middlesbrough Women 3-1 Leeds United Women

Defeat away from home.


FAWNL Division One North

Middlesbrough Women 3 (Robson 3’, Mett 54’, Burn 88’ pen)

Leeds United Women 1 (Rousseau 21’)

Boro: Wareham (GK), Harland, Packham, Towers, Turnbull, Mett (Brogden 70’), Robson, Bell, Burn (C), McCarthy (Guy 58’), Havery. Subs not used: Cook, Maxwell.

Leeds: Megeary, Elliot, Smart, Dobson, Hughes, Danby, Gibril-Keating (Astle 62’), Smith, Pizzarello, Turner (Jakeman 90’), Rousseau. Subs not used: Kirkham (GK), Hindle, Price.

Referee: Charles Calberth

Booked: n/a

Venue: The Map Group UK Stadium

Leeds United Women travelled away from home to take on Middlesbrough Women, in a clash at the top end of the FA Women’s National League Division One North table.

Simon Wood’s side were behind early on in the game, with the hosts finding the net directly from a corner in just the third minute. Lauren Robson’s cross evaded everyone and sailed into the back of the net.

Looking to respond quickly, Jess Rousseau forced a strong save from Laura Wareham in the opposition net with a low left-footed strike, before Ellie Dobson flicked a header wide from a corner moments later.

Just after the 20-minute mark and Leeds deservedly levelled, after a large spell of possession in the game. It was also the first time that Boro had conceded at home all season, across every competition.

Sarah Danby released Charly Pizzarello on the wing, she crossed into the box and Rousseau was there at the front post to turn home.

Both teams then had efforts from range and set-piece opportunities, in what was a well-contested and entertaining game.

In a final chance before the interval, Kath Smith was presented with a great opening in front of goal but under pressure she put her left-footed effort narrowly past the post.

HALF TIME: Middlesbrough Women 1-1 Leeds United Women

Out for the second half, Boro began in the same way that they had in the opening 45 minutes, and retook an early lead.

A long ball over the top caused problems in the Leeds defence, which allowed Jess Mett to capitalise on the loose ball and she had the relatively easy task of slotting home into an open net.

In what had been a first half with plenty of chances at either end, the second had not produced much, except for Boro’s early opener after the break.

Leeds were limited to shots from range, with the hosts happy to keep their lead. Smith and Rousseau again had strikes on goal, but neither really threatened to level.

Approaching full-time, Boro were awarded a penalty. Home captain Sarah Burn stepped up to take it and fired high into the back of the net, to secure the three points for her side.

HALF TIME: Middlesbrough Women 3-1 Leeds United Women

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03