Report: Leeds United 3-3 Cardiff City

Whites held as Cardiff fight back.

Helder Costa Web 5.jpg

Sky Bet Championship

Leeds United 3 (Costa 6, Bamford 8, pen 52)

Cardiff City 3 (Tomlin 60, Morrison 82, Glatzel 88)

Leeds: Casilla, Ayling, White, Berardi, Dallas, Phillips, Klich, Hernandez, Harrison (Alioski 81), Costa, Bamford (Nketiah 77).  Subs not used: Miazek, Douglas, Gotts, Clarke.

Cardiff: Etheridge, Peltier, Morrison, Flint (Nelson 41), Bennett, Vaulks (Whyte 61), Ralls, Pack, Mendez-Laing, Ward (Glatzel 63), Tomlin.  Subs not used: Smithies, Bacuna, Murphy, Paterson.

Booked: Hernandez (Leeds), Tomlin, Morrison (Cardiff)

Sent off: Morrison (Cardiff)

Referee: T. Harrington

Venue: Elland Road

Attendance: 34,552 (710 Cardiff)

Leeds United were made to settle for a point in the Sky Bet Championship, following a second half Cardiff City fight back at Elland Road.

Leeds had a good chance inside two minutes, Patrick Bamford found Pablo Hernandez in the Cardiff box, but the Spaniard scuffed his attempt wide.

The Whites took the lead in the sixth minute.  Following a Cardiff corner, Leeds hit the Bluebirds with a blistering counter attack.  Jack Harrison sent Hernandez down the right and he played a fabulous through ball to send Helder Costa through on goal and he slotted home.

Two minutes later Leeds doubled the advantage.  Stuart Dallas did well and delivered a dangerous cross and Bamford superbly chested down before smashing home beyond Cardiff goalkeeper Neil Etheridge, delighting the support at Elland Road.

Leeds continued to dominate the early stages, with Dallas twice striking over with efforts from 25 yards.

Hernandez saw a header denied by Etheridge, before Gaetano Berardi headed just over at the near post following a Kalvin Phillips corner.

Cardiff’s first chance came in the 18th minute when Lee Tomlin saw a shot blocked, ahead of Jack Harrison driving into the Bluebirds box and seeing a strike deflect just wide.

Costa saw a big shout for a penalty turned away, whilst Bamford fired just over from a free kick as the Whites continued to press for a third.

Luke Ayling saw a deflected effort go just the wrong side of the post, whilst Kalvin Phillips struck over the bar from distance.

Cardiff came into the game in the closing stages of the first half, Aden Flint headed just over following a ball into the Leeds box, whilst Medez-Laing got to the byline and teed up Danny Ward, but the forward slipped and fired over.

Joe Ralls then shot off target following a long Will Vaulks throw, before at the other end, Hernandez was denied by Etheridge after a good set up by Costa.

In stoppage time, Cardiff had a great chance to pull a goal back, but fortunately for Leeds, Ward’s volley went just over.

Half time: Leeds United 2-0 Cardiff City

Leeds started the second half in the same vein as the first, Costa cut inside from the right and found Ayling in the Cardiff box, but he couldn’t keep his strike down.

Leeds were awarded a penalty six minutes into the second half.  Mateusz Klich sent Bamford into the box and the striker beat Etheridge to the ball, before he was brought down by the Cardiff stopper.  Bamford stepped up and made no mistake from the spot, sending Etheridge the wrong way.

A minute later Leeds almost got a fourth.  Klich tried a lobbed effort from 25 yards, but Etheridge recovered to make a fine stop.

Cardiff pulled a goal back on the hour mark.  A Kiko Casilla punch landed at the feet of Tomlin and his lobbed attempt found the back of the net.

Ayling did well to break into the area soon after, before teeing up Klich, but his strike was well blocked.

Hernandez then took on the Cardiff defence, before unleashing a shot from range, which wasn’t far away from finding the top corner.

With 10 minutes remaining, Leeds substitute Eddie Nketiah shot on the turn, but his attempt was well blocked.

Two minutes later, Cardiff pulled another goal back, with Joe Bennett’s cross from the left flank headed home by Morrison.

Cardiff were reduced to 10 men in the 86th minute following a bad challenge by Morrison on Nketiah.

Despite going a man down, Cardiff levelled the scores in the 88th minute, when substitute Robert Glatzel slotted home.

In stoppage time, Leeds almost got a winner, when an Nketiah header was saved by Etheridge on to Ben White, before bouncing the wrong side of the post, as the Whites were made to settle for a point.

Full time: Leeds United 3-3 Cardiff City

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03