Report: Blackburn Rovers 1-3 Leeds United

Live updates from Ewood Park.

Kalvin Phillips Web 21.jpg

Sky Bet Championship

Blackburn Rovers 1 (Armstrong 48)

Leeds United 3 (Bamford 7, Phillips 40, Klich 53)

Blackburn: Walton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Adarabioyo, Bennett (Downing 22), Travis (Davenport 69), Johnson, Rothwell (Buckley 69), Holtby (Samuel 60), Armstrong, Gallagher (Graham 60).  Subs not used: Chapman, Leutwiler, Mulgrew, Carter.

Leeds: Meslier, Ayling, White, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Klich (Shackleton 89), Alioski, Harrison, Roberts (Hernandez 61), Bamford.  Subs not used: Miazek, Poveda, Berardi, Struijk, Gotts, Davis, Stevens.

Booked: Walton (Blackburn), Klich, Ayling (Leeds)

Referee: R. Jones

Venue: Ewood Park

Attendance: Behind-closed-doors

Leeds United made it three games unbeaten in the Sky Bet Championship, with an impressive victory at Ewood Park against Blackburn Rovers, with Marcelo Bielsa’s side extending the lead at the top of the division.

Former Leeds midfielder Bradley Johnson had the first sight on goal, forcing Illan Meslier into a decent save with a powerful driving effort.

It was an open, end to end start and Leeds made the breakthrough inside seven minutes.  Mateusz Klich robbed Lewis Travis of possession just outside of his own box and played in Patrick Bamford, whose first-time strike found the back of the net.

Blackburn almost hit back immediately.  Adam Armstrong played in Sam Gallagher with a fine through ball, but he put the chance wide.

Meslier then denied Lewis Holtby when he was played in by Armstrong, before Holtby struck the post moments later as Rovers pushed to get level.

At the other end, Klich sent Tyler Roberts into the Blackburn box and he did well to work room for a shot, but saw his strike well blocked.

Leeds so nearly doubled the lead in the 27th minute.  Ezgjan Alioski’s shot ended up at the feet of Bamford just inside the Blackburn box and he saw his shot on the turn hit the post.

Joe Rothwell fired over for the hosts after being teed up by Gallagher, before Luke Ayling was denied by Christian Walton at the near post, following a Barry Douglas corner.

Following the save, Tyler Roberts won a free-kick 25 yards from goal and Kalvin Phillips stepped up and fired the set-piece into the top left corner, giving Walton no chance, ensuring Leeds went in two up at the break.

Half time: Blackburn Rovers 0-2 Leeds United

Blackburn made a dream start to the second half.  After winning a free-kick 25 yards from goal, Armstrong fired Rovers back into the game, finding the top corner with his strike.

Leeds almost restored the two goal lead immediately when Ayling’s cross headed towards goal and bounced just wide, narrowly avoiding the head of Alioski.

Leeds did get the two goal cushion back in the 53rd minute.  Jack Harrison saw a shot well blocked and the ball fell to Klich on the edge of the box and his deflected effort found the back of the net.

Douglas then did well in the Blackburn box and provided a cross for Ayling, but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

Blackburn substitute Dominic Samuel made room for a shot, but couldn’t keep his strike down, before Johnson almost headed into his own net as Leeds pushed for more goals.

Ayling fed Bamford and he struck into the side netting from a narrow angle, before there was controversy in the 74th minute.  Bamford was played through by Klich and taken out on the edge of the box by Walton, but the Blackburn goalkeeper was only shown a yellow card and from the resulting set-piece, Douglas saw his free-kick well saved.

Liam Cooper glanced a header just wide following a Phillips free-kick, whilst Bamford saw an effort well blocked late on following some lovely build up play, as the Whites ran out comfortable winners in the race for the Premier League.

Full time: Blackburn Rovers 1-3 Leeds United

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03