10-man Leeds defeated by the Addicks.

Professional Development League

Charlton Athletic 1 (Anderson 39) Leeds United 0

Leeds United’s Under-23s suffered a narrow defeat away at Charlton Athletic, despite playing 55 minutes with ten men, as Tarique Anderson’s solo goal proving to be the difference between the two sides.

The home side almost took the lead inside two minutes, Leeds had Will Huffer to thank, who made a great double save to deny George Lapslie and Anderson.

Two minutes later the Addicks had another chance, Lapslie this time went through one-on-one with Huffer, but could only fire wide of the target.

Leeds created their first opportunity inside six minutes, Tom Pearce was picked out at the far post in the box, but he could only blaze his effort off target.

The lively Alex Machuca won Leeds a corner on the break and from the resulting set-piece there was a goalmouth scramble, with Liam Kitching and Paul McKay both having effort blocked.

Leeds felt they should have had a penalty in the 18th minute, when Madger Gomes got to the byline and put a cross into the box, the Whites appealed for handball, but no penalty was given.

Machuca again looked threatening on the counter attack and played Gomes into the box with a neat through ball, but he was unable to beat Jordan Beeney in the Charlton goal.

Charlton took the lead six minutes from the break, Anderson weaved his way through the leads defence before firing home.

Leeds’ hopes of a comeback took a blow in the 41st minute, Romario Vieira, who had already been booked, felled Louie-Michal Yamfam on the break and was sent off for a second bookable offence.

In first half stoppage time, Paul McKay went close with a header at a corner, heading into the ground, but he couldn’t get the better of Beeney.

Half Time: Charlton Athletic 1-0 Leeds United

After the break, Gomes went close to leveling for Leeds, he fired a shot from the edge of the box, which went just wide.

Carlos Corberan rang the changes, with Adrian Balboa Eoghan Stokes and Jack McKay all introduced, as the Whites searched for an equaliser.

Forward Jack McKay had a good impact and did well to break into the Charlton box, he appeared to be felled in the box, but the referee waved away the protests.

Following the penalty appeal, Charlton broke and Matt Carter found space in the Leeds area, he tried to lift the ball over Huffer, but the United stopper made an easy save.

The Addicks then went close from a well worked set-piece, Huffer made another fine stop to save Lapslie’s deflected shot and Ryan Blumberg tapped home the re-bound, but his effort was disallowed for offside.

Two minutes from time, the home side had a great chance to seal it, Lapslie broke through and unselfishly squared to Alfie Doughty, but Huffer made an amazing stop, to prevent Charlton from going further ahead.

In stoppage time, Stokes had the chance to win it, when his run into the box was picked out, but he could only smash his effort over the bar from a narrow angle, the Whites will now be looking to bounce back against Crystal Palace at Elland Road on Friday evening.

Full Time: Charlton Athletic 1-0 Leeds United


Leeds United Under-23s team v Charlton Athletic: Huffer, Gotts, Kitching, Rey, P. McKay, Diaz (J. McKay 71), Gomes, Vieira, Temenuzhkov (Balboa 54), Machuca (Stokes 62), Pearce.  Subs not used: Male, Sidiki.


Referee: J. Packman

Booked: Diaz, Vieira, Gotts (Leeds)

Sent Off: Vieira

Venue: DGS Stadium