United are 2-1 winners over Derby at the iPro Stadium...

DERBY 1 (Martin 48), UNITED 2 (Adeyemi 43, Wood 88)

Derby team:  Carson, Forsyth, Keogh, Hendrick, Martin, Russell (Bent 79), Baird, Shackell, Ince, Hanson (Shotton 86), Thorne (Weimann 65). Subs: Grant, Dawkins, Pearce, Warnock.

United team:  Silvestri, Berardi, Cooper, Bamba, Taylor, Adeyemi, Cook, Mowatt (Antenucci 75), Byram (Murphy 69), Dallas, Wood. Subs: Turnbull, Wootton, Bellusci, Phillips, Doukara.

Referee:  D Bond

Booked:  Hendrick (Derby)

Att: 29,386 (2,335)

United’s final game before the first international break of the season was a trip to Derby County’s iPro Stadium for yet another televised lunchtime kick-off.

And Uwe Rosler made two changes from the previous weekend’s 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday, bringing Lewis Cook back into the team in place of Kalvin Phillips after completing his three-match ban, as well as replacing Mirco Antenucci with Alex Mowatt in midfield.

Despite the early start, it was a lively atmosphere as the two sides took to the pitch and this reflected in the pace of the game during the opening exchanges.

United, in their all-yellow away strip, were the first to threaten after a flowing move started in midfield by Cook. He picked out Mowatt, who in turn found Sam Byram to tee up the arriving Chris Wood for a first-time effort which curled just over Scott Carson’s bar from the edge of the area.

A stoppage in play then followed as Derby captain Richard Keogh received treatment for a head injury, needing a fresh shirt and a bandage, after being caught by Cook’s high boot.

Rosler will have been the happier of the two head coaches during the early stages, with United putting the hosts under sustained pressure in the first 20 minutes. But Derby were able to hold firm, clearing a series of corners, before Stuart Dallas smashed well over the bar.

Gaetano Berardi saw his stinging, low strike blocked, before Derby took their turn to assert some pressure as the game started to become end-to-end.

The Rams’ clearest opening inside the first 30 minutes fell for Chris Martin, but the striker could only glance Johnny Russell’s left-wing free-kick over Marco Silvestri’s bar with a header.

The deadlock was broken on the stroke of half-time and it was the travelling United fans who were sent into raptures as Tom Adeyemi powered in his first competitive goal for the club.

The on-loan midfielder rose inside the area to meet Dallas’ inch-perfect cross from a short corner routine to send a bullet header beyond the flailing Carson in a deserved end to the first half.

The two sides re-emerged unchanged and Derby made a rapid start to the second period as Russell blasted over the bar within just 20 minutes of the restart.

Silvestri was then forced into his first save of the afternoon, flying across his line to spectacularly tip Jeff Hendrick’s goalbound strike over the bar.

The onslaught continued and the Rams managed to pull themselves level on 48 minutes through Martin, turning on the edge of the area before firing into the bottom corner.

It was soon becoming one-way traffic and, with the home crowd noticeably lifted, Derby continued to push forward. Hendrick again tried his luck from outside the area, only to see his low strike bounce just wide of the far post.

A combination of Silvestri and Liam Cooper then smothered at the feet of Martin as he looked to wriggle his way into a shooting position from a tight angle.

Tom Ince fired over from range and Silvestri was forced into another superb stop to push away Russell’s half-volley. Rosler was then prompted into his first changes of the afternoon, replacing Byram and Mowatt with Luke Murphy and Mirco Antenucci.

And Antenucci was involved almost immediately, carving out a golden opening for Wood to put United back in front, but he could only send his close-range header over the bar.

Wood was able to make amends with just two minutes remaining on the clock, though, turning on the edge of the area before sending an unstoppable strike beyond Carson, who remained routed to the spot, to clinch United’s first win of the season in dramatic fashion.