Even contest ends goalless at the King Power Stadium...


Leicester: Schmeichel, De Laet (Dyer 57), Konchesky, Morgan, Drinkwater, Whitbread, James Knockaert 62), King, Moore, Nugent, Vardy (Wood 75). Subs. Waghorn, Schlupp, Danns, Logan.

United: Kenny, Peltier, Lees, Pearce, Warnock, Green (Tonge 90), Murphy, Austin, McCormack, Hunt (Poleon 65), Varney (Smith 77). Subs. Ashdown, Drury, Brown, White.

Referee: K Stroud

Booked: Pearce (Leeds), Whitbread, Moore, Nugent (Leicester).

Att: 22,725 (2,851 Leeds)

United headed to Leicester on Sunday afternoon for the first away Sky Bet Championship away match of the season.

After the opening day victory over Brighton and Hove Albion at Elland Road United manager Brian McDermott made one change. The United manager had the services of Rudy Austin once again after suspension and the Jamaican international went straight into the starting line-up.

Also before the game United manager Brian McDermott confirmed that Austin would be the captain for the game at the King Power Stadium.

United were the better of the two teams during the opening 10 minutes and the first chance of the game went the way of Luke Varney. Following good build-up play from Austin Noel Hunt found himself in space to cross for Varney. The striker connected with the inbound cross but was under pressure from Wes Morgan and saw his effort go over the bar.

Following United's bright start the home side began to settle without really threatening Paddy Kenny's goal. But midway through the half the United defence blocked well after a shot from distance.

As the half hour past there was nothing to separate the two teams, in what had become an even contest, with most of the play taking place in the midfield area.

With the half drawing to a close it was United that pushed for the break through, with two corners in quick succession leading to Varney having a headed effort go wide of the mark.

Five minutes after the interval saw the home side's first real chance of the afternoon when, after a long Liam Moore throw, Morgan rose well and headed just over.

There was still nothing between the two sides as the hour mark approached. Both managers made changes to try and gain the upper hand with United boss Brian McDermott introducing Dominic Poleon to proceedings in place of Hunt.

The introduction of Poleon almost made an instant impact when the striker was on the ball in the penalty area. Poleon tried to beat his defender but the home side defended well to prevent a cross to the waiting United attackers.

Moments later Poleon was involved once again. The striker was put through on goal by Ross McCormack but last ditched defending by Moore prevented Poleon having a strike at goal.

The game began to open up as the 75th minute approached and Jamie Vardy saw Kenny save his two efforts on goal before being substitued for Chris Wood.

With 10 minutes of the game remaining Leicester substitute Wood gave Kenny a scare after his shot from distance hit the post.

Just as four minutes of injury time was announced Stephen Warnock found himself in space on the left wing and he floated a cross in the direction of Matt Smith. The big striker got his head to it and it took a great save from Kasper Schmeichel to prevent United sneaking a late goal.