Goals from Wootton, Smith and McCormack secure Cup progress...

DONCASTER 1 (Paynter 63), UNITED 3 (Wootton 41, Smith 77, McCormack pen 80).

Doncaster: Turnbull, Husband, Wabara, Furman (Forrester 84), Jones, Brown, Cotterill, Khumalo, Wellens, Robinson (Paynter 60), Coppinger (Duffy 46). Subs. Maxted, Quinn, Syers, McCullough.

United: Kenny, Peltier, Wootton, Pearce, Drury, Mowatt (Murphy 74), Tonge, Austin, McCormack, Smith, Poleon. Subs. Ashdown, White, Brown, Hall, Hunt, Diouf.

Referee: S Matthieson

Booked: Brown (Doncaster)

Att: 10,890 (3770 Leeds)

During the build-up to the Capital One Cup second round clash United manager Brian McDermott confirmed that a number of changes would be made to his team, including that Scott Wootton would make his debut.

Another notable inclusion in the starting 11 was a debut for Academy graduate Alex Mowatt. The young professional sat on the bench during the first round tie against Chesterfield at Elland Road but the midfielder impressed enough to gain his first United start on Tuesday evening.

United debutant Wootton made an instant impact in a Leeds United shirt by making a clearnence of the line within the first minute of the match. The hosts started brightly and also saw a shot go just over the bar from Chris Brown early on. 

It was the hosts that piled on the early pressure but it was United that making their way forward as 10 minutes past. A nice break from midfield from Mowatt lead to Ross McCormack having a strike on goal from distance, but the striker saw his effort go over the crossbar. 

Just minutes later United were on the attack again. It was Michael Tonge with the cross that was met by Matt Smith but his headed attempt went straight into Ross Turnbull's grasp. 

McCormack was at the heart of the United attack and could have made it 1-0 on the quarter-hour mark. After confusion in the Doncaster penalty area the ball fell to the Scot's feet but he once again saw his effort go just over. 

The hosts may have started the better but United began to settle into the game and Mowatt almost set up the opening goal. His quick through ball caught the defence cold but Smith couldn't capitalise on the opportunity created by the young midfielder. 

In true derby fashion the game began to liven up. Jason Pearce found himself in the thick of it but the referee handled the situation well. 

On the half-hour mark the game saw good headed chances at both ends. First it was United on the attack, when Mowatt's cross-field cross found Smith at the back post. Unfortunatley for United his attempt flew into Turnbull's arms. It was James Coppinger that threated for the home side in the air but Paddy Kenny saved well down low to his left. 

United's pressure during the first time told on 41 minutes the deadlock was broken. The impressive Mowatt once again got a cross into the penalty area for Smith, but this time the big frontman headed across goal for United debutant Wootton to head home. 

There was still time for another chance for United before the interval and Dominic Poleon was unlucky not to have doubled the advantage but he pulled his shot wide of the mark. 

The second period began as the first ended. It only took five second half minutes to open up the home defence and have a chance on goal. McCormack was pulled through on the right side of the area but the angle was against the striker and Turnbull saved his low drive well. 

With the hour mark approaching strong play from Poleon led to the striker creating an opportunity for himself. The striker shot from wide but his deflected effort  went into the side netting. The resulting corner led to another headed chance from Smith big his effort looped onto the top of the net. 

Moments later it was the home supporters making all the noise as the tie was level. On 60 minutes former United striker Billy Paynter was introduced to proceedings and three minutes later he equalised for the home side. 

United responded well to Paynter's equaliser, though, and Smith almost restored the advantage. The big striker controlled well under pressure in the area and turned and shot but Turnbull made a good save. 

After an impressive debut performance in centre-midfield Mowatt's evening came to an end on 74 minutes when he was replaced by Luke Murphy. 

On 77 minutes United's lead was restored when Smith headed home his first goal for the club. The goal was no less than the striker deserved after seeing several attempts saved by Turnbull. 

On 80 minutes United were awarded a penalty when Poleon was brought down in the box and the striker's pace beat two Doncaster defenders. McCormack was the man to step-up for United and the striker made no mistake from the penalty spot to make it 3-1. 

A Rudy Austin shot from distance proved to be the final meaningful action of the game as United put their name in the mix for the third round of the Capital One Cup.