Burnley record 2-1 victory at Elland Road...

UNITED 1 (Smith 79), BURNLEY 2 (Arfield 17, Vokes 42).

United: Kenny, Byram (Green 56), Wootton, Pearce, White, Tonge, Murphy (Poleon 56), Austin, McCormack, Diouf, Varney (Smith 75). Subs. Cairns, Brown, Mowatt, Hunt.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Marney, Jones (Edgar 70), Kightly (Stock 83), Arfield, Vokes, Ings. Subs. Cisak, Lafferty, Stanislas, Treacy, Long.

Referee: L Probert

Booked: Tonge (Leeds) Jones (Burnley)

Att: 26,465

United manager Brian McDermott recieved a welcome boost prior to entertaining Burnley at Elland Road. Last season's Player's Player, Young Player and Player of the Year Sam Byram returned to fitness and was given a starting spot in defence in place of the injured Lee Peltier.

Another change in the United defence was the inclusion of Aidy White for his first Championship appearance of the season replacing the suspended Stephen Warnock. The final change to Brian McDermott's side saw El-Hadji Diouf return to the starting line-up with Noel Hunt dropping to the bench.

Paddy Kenny had to be on his toes from the outset with Burnley testing United's keeper on three separate occasions in the opening five minutes. The final effort of the three from Sam Vokes brought out a great save from the experienced shot-stopper.

United began to settle after what was a fast paced opening 10 minutes to the game. The returning Diouf was heavily involved in United's possession and held up the ball brilliantly and brought others into play.

United first chance of the game came on the quarter hour-mark when a Luke Murphy cross field pass released Ross McCormack on the right hand side. The Scot cross perfectly for Luke Varney but the striker's headed effort went over the bar.

Just minutes later Burnley attacked through the advancing Kieran Trippier and his cross brought the opening goal of the tie. His cross found Scott Arfield at the back post but the danger looked to have past when Sam Byram tackled the winger but his persistance led to a strike at goal that beat Kenny in the United net.

United responded well to going behind and on 22 minutes the tie was inches away from being levelled. It was Varney's strike that caused Tom Heaton to make a great point-blank save after he turned and struck from just 10 yards out.

Great play from the whole United team led to the next chance of the game. This time Varney played the role of the creator when his piercing run into the Burnley box brought the space to cross for McCormack but the striker's headed effort went just wide of the mark.

With half time approaching and it looking like the away side would go in with a one goal advantage, Vokes doubled the visitors lead. Following a controversial free-kick decision by referee Lee Probert Burnley won a throw that led to the away side's second of the afternoon. The ball found its way through to Vokes in the United area, the striker shot, only for Kenny to save but the keeper could do nothing about the rebound that Vokes slotted home.

United started the second period on the front foot as they went in search for a goal that would put them back in the game but it was Burnley that had a golden opportunity to go three up. Danny Ings found himself through on goal following a through ball, with Rudy Austin pressuring the forward he struck from distance only to be twarted by Kenny.

With the hour mark approaching Brian McDermott made changes to add to United's attacking threats. The manger introduced Paul Green and Dominic Poleon for Byram and Murphy. Green slotted into the right-back position with Poleon operating out on the right side of midfield.

United's new faces led to McCormack moving out on the left wing and the forward found himself on the end of a cross at the back post but his cross goal header went the wrong side of the post.

Moments later Diouf had the chance to give United a way back into the game when his downwards header forced Heaton into a superb save as the hour mark past.

With 15 minutes of the match remaining McCormack opened up the away defence and played in Poleon, his shot was saved well by Heaton and the rebound bounced away from danger. The United manager made his third and final substition moments later by introducing Matt Smith for Varney.

Following Smith's arrival United had two chances on the Burnley goal. First a clever flick from Michael Tonge was blocked and a McCormack strike from distance went just wide.

On 79 minutes United were back in the contest when substitute Smith scored his first goal at Elland Road. The goal came from Diouf's free-kick and the big striker rose highest at the back post to head home.

The noise levels inside Elland Road rose as United went in search of an equaliser during the final 10 minutes. United pushed forward and were asking all the questions of the Burnley defence but they stood strong.

The fourth official announced there would be six minutes of injury time as United continued to push forward and a chance fell to Austin but the midfielder could only send it over the bar.

United's pressure on the Burnley defence grew in the six minutes of injury time but they couldn't find the break through and recorded their third defeat of the Championship season.