Two goals enough for Newcastle progress...

NEWCASTLE 2 (Cisse 31, Gouffran 66), UNITED 0.

Newcastle: Krul, Debuchy, Williamson, Coloccini, Dummett, Anita (Gosling 80), Tiote, Marveaux, Gouffran (Vuckic 84), Sammy Ameobi, Cisse (Obertan 71). Subs. Alnwick, Yanga-Mbiwa, Bigirimana, Ben Arfa.

United: Kenny, Byram, Pearce, Wootton, Warnock, Austin, Mowatt, Tonge (Diouf 63), McCormack, Poleon (White 63), Smith. Subs. Cairns, Murphy, Green, Brown, Hunt.

Referee: M Jones

Booked: Mowatt (Leeds)

Att: 36,220 (5,961 Leeds)

United manager Brian McDermott made a number of changes for the Capital One Cup third round trip to St. James' Park.

The most notable inclusion of the evening was Alex Mowatt in midfield for United, where the youngster was only making his second appearance for the club. There were starting spots for Stephen Warnock, who was available following a one game suspension, at full-back and Dominic Poleon and Matt Smith were partnered in the United attack.

The opening minutes were lively with both teams having chances. Good defending from Scott Wootton prevented Papiss Cisse having a strike on goal just yards out. United's chance came when Ross McCormack broke from midfield with the ball, the striker saw Tim Krul off his line and the Scot went for the lob. The Newcastle keeper was beaten as McCormack's floated effort struck the left top corner of the woodwork.

On the 11th minute Gary Speed's name echoed around St. James' Park with both sets of fans playing tribute to the former Leeds and Newcastle man.

With Speed's name still being sung by the 6,000 United supporters Matt Smith was on hand to prevent the home side taking the lead. Fabricio Coloccini headed on goal from a corner, but the striker was on hand to clear off the line.

The home side once again threatened United's goal midway through the half when Sammy Ameobi crossed for Yoan Gouffran, but the striker was unable to put enough on his headed effort and it went wide of the mark.

With the half-hour mark approaching another good chance came United's way. After good work from McCormack on the left-hand side he crossed for Smith. The big striker mistimed his effort but still managed to hit the target, but a great save from Krul kept the scores level.

Moments later the scores were open. Ameobi was released down the left for the home side on 31 minutes, and his pin-point cross was met perfectly by Cisse on the penalty spot, the striker headed at goal and gave Paddy Kenny no chance.

United responded brilliantly to going behind and almost pulled one back instantly. Following Sam Byram's cross-field pass Smith's pressure led to the ball arriving at the feet of McCormack, who shot but his strike just missed the target.

The home side pressured the United defence during the final minutes of the opening period but McDermott's men stood strong by limiting Newcastle to possession on the outside of the box and didn't allow them to make any further penetration before the interval.

The second half began in a similar fashion to the first with opportunities being created at both ends of the ground. The more meaningful of the chances was a Smith header for United, the striker latched onto a cross but his effort was straight at Krul.

On the hour mark United enjoyed a good spell of possession in and around the Newcastle penalty. The play led to Byram crossing for Smith who met the ball with his head but his attempt went wide of the mark.

Following Smith's effort Brian McDermott rang the chances by introducing Aidy White and El-Hadji Diouf to proceedings in place of Poleon and Michael Tonge.

Moment's after United's double substiution the home side doubled their advantage. Gouffran found himself on the ball just outside the United box, he managed to turn and unleashed an unstoppable strike to beat Kenny and double Newcastle's lead.

With the two goal lead Newcastle replaced Cisse with Gabriel Obertan and it wasn't long before the Frenchman was involved. The striker was through on goal following a great through-ball but Kenny was upto the task and saved the one-on-one opportunity.

The final 10 minutes of the match past by with no meaningful chances as the home side looked to have settled with the two goal lead. Newcastle substitute Obertan had the final effort on goal of the night when he was one-on-one once again. Kenny was equal to the striker again and twarted his effort on goal in injury.