Two second half goals from Ross McCormack see Yeovil beaten at Elland Road...

UNITED 2 (McCormack 48, 67), YEOVIL 0.

United: Kenny, Peltier, Lees, Pearce, Wootton, Warnock (Zaliukas 41), Mowatt, Murphy, Austin, Smith (Blackstock 58), McCormack. Subs. Cairns, Brown, Tonge, Diouf, Varney.

Yeovil: Hennesey, McAllister, Edwards, Webster, Dawson (Moore 68), Upson,  Hoskins (Foley 79), Duffy, Ralls, Davis (Madden 68), Grant. Subs. Dunn, Ayling, Hayter, Fontaine.

Referee: R Clark

Att: 25, 351

United manager Brian McDermott made one change to his team that suffered defeat the previous weekend with the inclusion of Lee Peltier in place of Sam Byram.

Last weekend's goalscoring substitute Dexter Blackstock and new signing Marius Zaliukas were on the bench for the game at Elland Road. There was also a return to the matchday squad for El-Hadji Diouf.

United started the game well and had a chance to take the lead within the opening three minutes. Smith used the ball well and played it into the path of Alex Mowatt whose shot from inside the box looked to be heading into the top right-hand corner, but the strike brought a fantastic save from Wayne Hennesey.

There were also early warning signs for United in the first five minutes with Joel Grant making some good runs and Stephen Warnock made a great interception to prevent a shot on goal from the away side.

Yeovil continued to look a threat on the break and Joe Ralls tried his luck from distance but his effort went wide of the mark. Following the strike from Ralls United set camp in the Yeovil half of the field and Rudy Austin saw two strikes on goal blocked and another go just wide.

United continued their onslaught on the away goal and Smith had a great chance to put his side ahead just before the 20 minute mark. A strong run forward from Austin created a crossing opportunity and he played the ball across the six-yard box, but Smith mis-timed his strike and the ball continued on its path across the goal. Moments later Mowatt saw a curled effort just go past the left-hand post.

The away side really came into the game and enjoyed a good spell of possession from the 30 minute mark. Jason Pearce rescued United on two separate occasions with last-ditched tackles to prevent Yeovil having sight of goal.

Before the referee blew for half time United manager was forced into making a change. Warnock had picked up a knock and was unable to shake it off so their was a debut for Lithuanian international Marius Zaliukas who slotted in as one of the three centre halves, with Pearce moving to the left-wing back role.

Pearce continued on the left side as the second half got underway and the defender found himself with a sight of goal in the 46th minute but his shot didn't trouble Hennesey.

Just two minutes later a forward run from Austin brought the first goal of the match. The midfielder played in Ross McCormack but the striker still had it all to do. He had the option of playing in Smith but the Scot trusted his own ability and struck a superb strike that beat Hennesesy at his far post.

More good defending from United prevented the away side having the chance to equalise. Kevin Dawson broke down the left side of the field but a great covering slide tackle from Tom Lees thwarted the winger.

With the game 58 minutes old Dexter Blackstock recieved a warm welcome as he made his Elland Road debut when he replaced Smith up front.

On the hour mark Austin was once again causing the away side problems with his power and ability to run forward with the ball. Once he was far enough forward he struck but the ball took a deflection and went over the bar.

Moments later Kenny had his hands tested and he had to be on his toes when a free-kick needed pushing over the bar.

In the 67th minute United doubled their lead and it was McCormack with his second of the afternoon. The striker was played through beautifully by Austin and McCormack made no mistake and slotted the ball past the onrushing keeper with ease.

United were almost three ahead moments later when Blackstock had a shot on goal, but his strike deflected just wide.

With 15 minutes of the game remaining the away side were close to clawing one back when a poor clearance was collected by the Yeovil frontmen. The ball was slidded across the edge of the area but Joe Edwards could only watch as his shot went inches wide.

Although the away side were pushing forward in the remaining minutes, it was United who looked the more comfortable on the ball after a scoring brace from McCormack and saw the game out.