United hit by Derbyshire stunner...

FOREST 2 (Halford 23, Derbyshire 84), UNITED 1 (McCormack 83).

Forest: Darlow, Jara, Lascelles, Hobbs, Lichaj, Lansbury, Mackie (Cox 83), Majewski (Chalobah 72), Reid, Abdoun (Derbyshire 68), Halford. Subs. De Vries, Harding, Paterson, Osborn.

United: Kenny, Lees, Zaliukas, Pearce, Peltier (Byram 69), Pugh, Brown (Ariyibi 60), Murphy, Austin, Smith, McCormack (Poleon 86). Subs. Cairns, Warnock, Tonge, Varney.

Referee: J Linington

Booked: Jara (Forest), Brown, Austin (Leeds).

Att: 26,854 (1,968 Leeds)

There was one change from Brian McDermott for the visit to the City Ground to face Nottingham Forest. Luke Murphy returned to the side after serving his one-game suspension in the place of Michael Tonge, who was named among the substitutes.

There was an early scare for United when Greg Halford closed down Paddy Kenny following a soft backpass in the opening minutes. The defender, who was playing up front, collided with the United keeper who required treatment before play could continue.

United had chances in the opening 10 minutes, with the best falling to Danny Pugh, who arrived on the edge of the box following a cross, but his strike was blocked.

The game's lively opening continued as the match went on and the deadlock was broken in in the 23rd minute. The home side were granted a contentious free-kick which Andy Reid put into the danger area. Halford rose well at the back post and headed the ball over Kenny.

The home side almost doubled their lead just minutes later when Reid broke forward and struck, but his strike went over the crossbar.

Following the half-hour mark United had a good chance to level the game from a Murphy corner. The midfielder floated a great ball towards the back-post, which Tom Lees met but his powerful header was deflected behind. Another headed chance came United's way moments later but Matt Smith nodded the ball wide.

Just minutes later it was the home side who had a good chance in front of goal. Radoslaw Majewski had time and space in the United box and called Kenny into action with a shot towards the keeper's near post. Kenny saved the attempt by knocking the ball round his post for a corner.

The final chance of the half also fell to the home side when good build-up play led to the ball finding its way to Jamie Mackie at the back-post, but the striker could only smash it wide.

There was little in the way of entertainment during the opening minutes of the second half, but the United boss moved to change things on the hour when he introduced Gboly Ariyibi for his debut.

Moments later Kenny was called into action once again to protect his near post. Mackie broke forward for the home side and played Djamal Abdoun into space but Kenny was equal to the midfielder's strike.

With 20 minutes remaining Sam Byram was introduced to proceedings in place of Lee Peltier with the United manager adding a further attacking threat to his side. Following the introcduction of Byram United's first substitute Ariyibi had a half chance to make an instant impact. The youngster snapped at the chance and his shot went out near the corner flag.

With 10 minutes remaining Reid was inches away from putting the home side further ahead when he hit the post with a superb strike from distance.

Following Reid hitting the upright United broke down the right with Byram. The defender crossed but his advances were cut-out but the rebound bounced to Ross McCormack who made no mistake in putting United level.

United's joy didn't last long though, as less than one minute later the home side were back in front thanks to a fantastic strike from Matt Derbyshire who gave Kenny no chance.

Brian McDermott responded by bringing Dominic Poleon off the bench and the striker had a chance within minutes, when he arrived late at the back-post but his header went wide of the mark.

Five minutes of injury time was added on after the 90 but the home side kept United in their own half and limited the away side to very little in regards to attacking and advancing forward. The final score saw United lose 2-1 and slip to their first defeat in December.