Report: Accrington Stanley 1-3 Leeds United

Report: Accrington Stanley 1-3 Leeds United

Whites progress to the fifth round.

Emirates FA Cup fourth round

Accrington Stanley 1

Leeds United 3 (Harrison 23, Firpo 66, Sinisterra 68)

Accrington: Savin, Hamilton, Astley, Coyle, Whalley (Woods 86), Leigh, McConville (Quirk 80), Longelo (Nolan 80), Rodgers, Pressley (Adekoya 80), Tharme (Pickles 80).  Subs not used: Jensen, Nolan, Perritt, Martin, Fernandes. 

Leeds: Meslier, Firpo, Koch (Llorente 76), Wober, Kristensen, Roca, Greenwood, Harrison (Joseph 89), Sinisterra (Rodrigo 69), Rutter (Perkins 76), Bamford (Aaronson 76). Subs not used: Robles, Van den Heuvel, Ayling, Gyabi.

Booked: Coyle, Adekoya (Accrington), Greenwood (Leeds)

Referee: Josh Smith

Venue: Wham Stadium

Attendance: 5,268 (2,616)

Leeds United progressed to the fifth round of the Emirates FA Cup for the first time in seven years with a 3-1 victory over Accrington Stanley at the Wham Stadium.

Whites head coach Jesse Marsch named a strong line-up for the foruth round tie.  A total of six changes were made from the 0-0 Premier League draw with Brentford last time out, with one enforced as Willy Gnonto missed out through suspension, whilst record signing Georginio Rutter was handed his debut.

The first action in the game came through Accrington captain Sean McConville, inside five minutes, he tried his luck from range, forcing Illan Meslier into a decent stop.

Leeds’ first opportunity came three minutes later, Luis Sinisterra found debutant Rutter in the Accrington box, but he dragged his shot inches wide.

Stanley capain McConville again shot from distance, but this time couldn’t find the target, before Ethan Hamilton saw a shot blocked at a free kick and the Accrington skipper once more tested Meslier from 30 yards.

Leeds took the lead in the 25th minute, Rasmus Kristensen broke down the right well and found Sam Greenwood.  He then knocked the ball to Patrick Bamford who teed up Jack Harrison to strike from 25 yards and he superbly found the bottom right corner.

Two minutes later the advantage was almost doubled, Rutter drove up the pitch and was fouled, but the referee played a good advantage and Marc Roca saw a strike deflect just inches over the bar.

From the resulting corner, the hosts cleared and broke forwards through Aaron Pressley and he forced a really good save from Meslier.

Bamford saw a strike saved from a narrow angle as he looked to get his name on the scoresheet, before the forward appeared to be felled in the Accrington box, the referee waved play on and Sinisterra smashed a 25 yard strike against the post.

Bamford was again denied by Savin following a good counter-attack by the Whites, whilst Meslier was forced into action at the other end, making a fine stop to deny Hamilton.

Three minutes before the break Leeds had another chance to go further ahead when Harrison found Kristensen at the back post and he fired a strike narrowly wide across the face of goal.

Tommy Leigh saw a strike from distance saved following an Accrington free kick, as the Whites went in ahead with the single goal advantage.

Half time: Accrington Stanley 0-1 Leeds United

The hosts had a great chance to level just after the break, Harvey Rodgers was found well at the back post, but he could only put his effort over.

Rodgers again went close when Meslier spilled a long throw-in and the ball landed at his feet in the Leeds box, but he struck wide.

Leeds’ first opportunity of the second half came in the 62nd minute, Kristensen knocked the ball down to Bamford in the Accrington box and he struck narrowly wide into the side netting.

Moments later, Sinisterra drove forwards and weaved his way into the Accrington box, before firing just over.

Leeds did get a second breakthrough in the 66th minute, Bamford and Junior Firpo combined superbly and the latter provided a neat finish into the bottom corner.

A third goal then followed immediately, Harrison charged down the left flank and his lovely low ball was converted by Sinisterra.

The Whites were now running riot and Rutter almost made it four following some lovely play, but he could only find the side netting, whilst Bamford was once more denied by Savin.

The Accrington stopper again came to the rescue for the hosts after Bamford played in substitute Rodrigo who he denied, before also making a great save to prevent Kristensen.

The hosts pulled back a consolation goal late on, Meslier denied Tommy Leigh, before substitute Seb Quirk got to the byline and teed up Leslie Akedoya, but there was no stopping the Whites from getting through.

The result means Leeds progress to the fifth round of the FA Cup, with the draw to be made on Monday evening.

Full time: Accrington Stanley 1-3 Leeds United