Report: Tottenham Hotspur 4-3 Leeds United

Report: Tottenham Hotspur 4-3 Leeds United

Whites narrowly defeated by Spurs.

Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 4 (Kane 26’, Davies 50’, Bentancur 81’, 83)

Leeds United 3 (Summerville 10’, Rodrigo 43’, 76’)

Spurs: Lloris (GK) (C), Hojbjerg, Richarlison (Bissouma 68’), Kane, Royal (Doherty 57’), Perisic, Dier, Kulusevski (Moura 89’), Bentancur, Davies, Lenglet (Sanchez 57’). Subs not used: Forster (GK), Skipp, Gil, Spence, Tanganga. 

Leeds: Meslier (GK), Koch, Cooper (C), Aaronson, Roca (Ayling 79’), Summerville, Adams, Rodrigo (Gelhardt 89’), Struijk, Kristensen (Joseph 89’), Gnonto (Greenwood 45’). Subs not used: Robles (GK), Firpo, Llorente, Perkins, Gyabi.

Venue: Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Attendance: TBC

Referee: Michael Salisbury

Booked: Bentancur (Spurs) Roca, Adams (Leeds)

Sent-off: Adams (Leeds)

A match full of attack minded football, along with drama at either end, played out at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and saw the hosts come away with the three points in a frantic encounter. 

When we got underway, Leeds controlled the opening the match and their early possession was rewarded, as the inform Crysencio Summerville struck early to open the scoring in North London.

Good link up play involving Willy Gnonto and Brenden Aaronson saw the World Cup bound USA international play Summerville into the box. The forward then controlled, composed himself and fired home left-footed to put Jesse Marsch’s side ahead. 

Spurs had a huge chance to equalise in the 17th minute though - and it was a let off for the United defence. Ben Davies broke into the box on the left and pulled the ball back for Emerson Royal who had a clear strike on goal, but he sliced it well over the bar. 

Just two minutes later, it was then Leeds with the big chance and it could have been two! Again it was Aaronson with the neat build-up play to set Summerville free, but this time Hugo Lloris came out on top to deny the forward’s effort. 

Spurs did equalise through their top-scorer, Harry Kane, and it was in controversial circumstances. Illan Meslier had done superbly to punch clear a corner and in doing so, saw two Tottenham players charge into him and bring him to ground.

The ball fell kindly for Kane, who collected, and had an unguarded net to fire into after Meslier had been bundled over. Despite the protests, the goal was allowed to stand the hosts were level. 

The game was frantic and very much end to end as both teams went searching for a way to go ahead. Set-pieces were creating chances and the Whites had one in a dangerous area, but Rodrigo’s free-kick from the edge of the box struck the wall before Marc Roca’s follow up saw Lloris save well. 

Two minutes before the interval, Leeds deservedly retook the lead and it was following a set-piece. After Summerville had netted his fourth in four games earlier, Rodrigo joined him by doing the same!

Liam Cooper kept the ball alive from a corner, before Rasmus Kristensen flicked a header into Rodrigo’s run into the box. The Spaniard volleyed first time and found the bottom corner, with Lloris getting fingertips to it along the way! 

There was still defending to be done before the break, in what had been a pulsating first half. The final chance came for the hosts as Richarlison’s shot trickled towards goal, but the well placed Kristensen was there to clear off the line and away to send his side in with the lead.

HALF TIME: Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Leeds United 

Marsch made a change to his side at the break. After a battling 45 minutes in North London, Willy Gnonto was withdrawn and Sam Greenwood entered the action in his place. 

Just five minutes into the second half, Spurs were level once again. Kristensen and Meslier had combined to block Kane’s first effort, but the rebound fell kindly for Ben Davies who then rifled home despite the previously mentioned pairing doing their best to block it again. 

As the clock had ticked over the hour mark the match had remained even on the pitch and on the scoreboard. The best chance Leeds had created was when Summerville was chopped down outside the box, but Greenwood’s free-kick flew over the bar. 

The Whites were constant in their press and search for a way back in front though, and it came with just under 15 minutes remaining, in superb style! 

Leeds won the ball back in midfield and that allowed Roca to look up and play a brilliant defence splitting pass to Rodrigo, who smashed low and left-footed, across Lloris and into the bottom corner. 

However, in this ever-attacking match, Spurs would level again and make the score three-apiece. Rodrigo Bentancur was the scorer, seeing his shot go in via a deflection with just under 10 minutes to play.

Just two minutes later and with their next attack, Tottenham went into the lead for the first time. It was Bentancur again who had space in the middle to slot home after a low ball in to him and Spurs now had a 4-3 lead. 

In a chaotic final 10 minutes of the match, Tyler Adams was then sent-off after getting his second yellow card. The midfielder brought down Yves Bissouma in the middle of the pitch and was dismissed for doing so.

The hosts then played out the final few minutes in control and held on to claim the three points, in the final match before the break for the World Cup. 

FULL TIME: Tottenham Hotspur 4-3 Leeds United