United hit for six in Sheffield...

WEDNESDAY 6 (R Johnson 20, Nuhiu 45, Wickham 50, Maguire 66, Lavery 80, 90+4), UNITED 0.

Wednesday: Kirkland, R Johnson, Semedo, Maghoma (J Johnson 73), Maguire (Helen 81), Lee, Palmer, Wickham, Llera, Nuhiu (Lavery 65), Loovens. Subs. Martinez, McCabe, Matlock, McPhail.

United: Kenny, Lees (Smith 46), Zaliukas, Pearce, Pugh, Peltier, Austin, Mowatt, Stewart, Kebe (Byram 66), McCormack. Subs. Cairns, Warnock, Brown, Poleon, Varney.

Referee: L Probert

Booked: Llera, Loovens, Maguire (Wednesday).

Sent Off: Smith (Leeds)

Att: 21,224

United manager Brian McDermott handed debuts to both Cameron Stewart and Jimmy Kebe for the lunchtime kick off at Sheffield Wednesday. Both players arrived during the week building up to the Yorkshire derby and both went straight into the starting line-up.

There ware also recalls for Tom Lees, Lee Peltier and Alex Mowatt following the FA Cup third round shock United suffered a week earlier.

The early minutes were disrupted when there was a stoppage in the game following a strong Peltier challenge on Jacques Maghoma. That same player then had a great opportunity to put his side ahead once play commenced. The forward was through on goal but contrived to fall over his own feet and the chance was gone.

The best of United's chances in the opening 15 minutes fell to Jason Pearce. Following a half-cleared corner United floated the ball into the box but Pearce headed the ball wide of the mark.

With the 20 minute mark approaching Connor Wickham came close with a shot from the edge of the box but his strike went wide.

But, it wasn't long before the home side took the lead on 20 minutes. A clever chipped pass into United's penalty area broke the offside trap and left Reda Johnson with only Paddy Kenny to beat. The big defender kept a cool head and slotted the ball home.

After going a goal up it was the home side who continued to play the better football and it was they who had the next good chance of the game, when Kenny was called into making a good save after a strike from distance.

With the interval approaching United began to enjoy a good spell of possession but it was the home side that struck again before half time. The home side won the ball in midfield and passed their way through United's defensive lines. The ball was played across the six-yard box with Atdhe Nuhiu waiting at the back post to slide the ball into the net.

Brian McDermott made one change at the break by introducing Matt Smith, who replaced Lees.

But United's task became harder when they went a man down in the first minute of the second half. United substitute Smith was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Johnson.

United's afternoon continued to get worse when Wednesday struck for the third time. Sunderland loanee Connor Wickham escaped his defender and shot from the left side of the box, his shot beat Kenny and went in via the inside of the post.

The home side were dominating proceedings and it was Wednesday who threatened once again. Wickham found some space on the edge of the box but smashed his effort over the crossbar and into the crowd behind the goal.

But it wasn't long before the fourth goal of the afternoon arrived. This time it was a Chris Maguire free-kick that made its way through to goal. Maguire's effort deflected off the wall and past Kenny.

United's first shot of the half came midway through, when Rudy Austin struck from distance, but it was the home side who were celebrating in the 80th minute when they scored their fifth of the afternoon. Wednesday substitute Caolan Lavery broke after collecting the ball in the middle of the park, he continued his probing run and finished well to put his side five goals ahead.

There were four added minutes at the end of the game and the home side secured their sixth goal of the match. A defensive mistake led to Lavery collecting the ball and he curled his effort beyond Kenny to hit United for six.