U23s Report: Leeds United 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion

U23s Report: Leeds United 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion

Whites draw with the Seagulls.

Premier League 2

Leeds United 1 (Snowdon 66’)

Brighton & Hove Albion 1 (Tolaj 83’)

Leeds: Klaesson (GK), Sutcliffe, Hjelde (Snowdon 45’), Jenkins (McGurk 90') Kenneh, Moore, Miller, Bate, Dean, Greenwood (c), Summerville (Gray 45’). 

Subs not used: Van Den Heuvel (GK), Hughes. 

Brighton: McGill (GK), Offiah (Packham 77'), Tsoungui, Turns, Furlong, Dicker (Peupion 70'), Spong, Moran, Leonard, Miller (Tolaj 70'), Ferguson.

Subs not used: Desbois, Ella.

Mark Jackson’s side added another point to their Premier League 2 tally with a draw at home to Brighton, but will feel they could have come away with all three on Friday evening in York.  

The Whites were the first to threaten the goal of Tom McGill, who was between the posts for the Seagulls. After Amari Miller had broken forward and won a corner, Crysencio Summerville curled just over the bar.  

Down the opposite end, Brighton then looked to test the Whites from their own set-play, but the defence stood firm. With set-pieces causing most the issues early on, Lewis Bate and Kris Moore both forced saves following corner routines. 

The best chance for the visitors came the way of Marc Leonard, who mistimed a header in front of an empty net to send it over the bar and moments later Summerville had a good chance for Leeds, with McGill making a good save again. 

In the best chance of the opening 45 minutes, the ever-lively Miller cut in from the wing on his left-foot and looked to curl in a strike at the far post, only to hit the wood-work and rebound to safety. 

Max Dean was to have the final effort of the half, with his left-footed shot being pushed away by McGill, who continued his fine form in the match. The teams went in level at the whistle. 

HALF TIME: Leeds United 0-0 Brighton & Hove Albion

Leeds made a double change at half-time, with Summerville and Leo Hjelde being replaced by Archie Gray and Joe Snowdon. The Seagulls were unchanged as the second period began.

Jackson’s side were on the front foot from kick-off, with Miller continuing to cause the problems. After Greenwood’s early tester for McGill between the posts, Miller was inches from opening the scoring when he saw his goalbound header cleared off the line. 

Straight down the other end, the winger then showed he can defend in the same way, stopping Brighton from taking the lead on his own goal-line, following a corner. The Seagulls went close again moments later, as Leonard struck the post from the edge of the box. 

It was going to take something special to hit the net with McGill in fine form, and on 66 minutes it arrived! Miller once again created the danger down the wing, he played the ball inside to Greenwood, who in turn passed to Snowdon to smash home on the edge of the box and put Leeds ahead!

Entering the final stages of the game, the visitors were pushing forward looking for an equaliser and found one, with Lorent Tolaj finishing at close range from a free-kick into the box. 

With the game levelled up, Leeds were then in search of a winner and came close once again through Miller who followed up his first half strike against the post, by this time smashing the crossbar. 

The full time whistle was blown shortly after, bringing an end to an entertaining encounter and sending each side away with a point. 

FULL TIME: Leeds United 1-1 Brighton

Venue: LNER Community Stadium, York

Referee: T. Parsons

Booked: Dicker, Furlong (Brighton) Sutcliffe (Leeds)