RIP Terry Cooper

RIP Terry Cooper

Rest in Peace.

Leeds United are devastated to learn of the passing of Terry Cooper at the age of 77.

A club legend, Cooper amassed 351 appearances for the Whites, scoring 11 goals, during the Leeds’ most successful era to date.

Cooper’s goal against Arsenal in the 1968 League Cup final at Wembley was one of the most iconic moments in the history of Leeds United, securing the club a 1-0 victory over the Gunners and a first major honour.

Born on 12 July 1944, in Brotherton, North Yorkshire, Cooper joined Leeds in 1961 as an apprentice, before turning professional a year later.

He made his debut at the age of 19 in the 3-0 away victory over Swansea Town on 11th April 1964, in the match which secured Leeds United promotion to the First Division.

In his second league match, a 2-0 win over Charlton Athletic, Leeds secured the 1963/64 Second Division title.

Initially a left-winger, he was converted to a full-back by Don Revie and went on to become arguably the greatest left-back to ever play at Elland Road.

After featuring a combined 34 times in the league during the 1965/66 and 1966/67, where Leeds had finished runners-up in the First Division, Cooper went on to become a first team regular at left back.

Following his feat at Wembley against Arsenal in the League Cup, Cooper played in both legs of the 1968 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup final as Ferencvaros were defeated, which secured Leeds a first European honour.

Cooper then went on to play a key role as Leeds won the First Division title for the first time at the end of the 1968/69 season, making 35 league appearances during the triumph.

He made his England debut on 12th March 1969, in the 5-0 victory over France, the first of 20 caps he would go on to win and he also represented the Three Lions at the 1970 World Cup in Mexico.

After helping the Whites win the Charity Shield in 1969 and reach the FA Cup final in 1970, in 1971, he once more played in both legs of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup final, as the Whites defeated Juventus on away goals.

In April 1972, Cooper unfortunately suffered a broken leg, which kept him out of action for 20 months and ruled him out of the 1972 FA Cup final victory over Arsenal.

After recovering and making a return to first team football in January 1974, Cooper made just 17 more appearances in all competitions for the Whites, who won the First Division in 1973/74 and reached the 1975 European Cup final.

He departed Leeds United at the end of the 1974/75 campaign and went on to have two stints at Bristol City, along with Bristol Rovers and Doncaster Rovers.

He would also go on to manage both Bristol clubs, along with Exeter City twice and Birmingham City.

The thoughts of everyone at Leeds United are with Terry’s family and friends at this difficult time.

Rest in Peace, Terry.