REPORT: Fleetwood Town 2-1 Leeds United

REPORT: Fleetwood Town 2-1 Leeds United

Match report from Highbury Stadium.

Fleetwood Town 2 (Morris 55’, Garner 61’ pen)

Leeds United 1 (Cresswell 24’)

Fleetwood XI: Cairns (GK), Halliday (Pilkington 62'), Andrew, Clarke, Morton (Garner 45’), Camps (Lane 62’), Rossiter (C), Morris (Trialist 62’), Hill (Holgate 62’), Biggins, Clark. Subs not used: Crellin (GK), Johnston, McMillan.

Leeds XI: Van Den Heuvel (GK), Drameh, McCarron, Forshaw (Bate 45’), Cresswell (C) (Moore 59’), Kenneh, Summerville, Jenkins, Dean, McKinstry, Miller (Poveda 45’). Subs not used: Caprile (GK), Allen.

Mark Jackson was in charge of a young Leeds United side on the Fylde Coast, as his side lost out by the odd goal to Simon Grayson’s Fleetwood Town. 

In the first 10 minutes of the match, set-pieces were the only efforts on goal. The Whites were the first to whip a dangerous ball into the box, which was well cleared. 

Danny Andrew tried to catch Dani Van Den Heuvel off his line with his free-kick attempt but shot over, whilst Max Clark opted to cross from his wide position, again it was dealt with by the Leeds defence. 

In the 24th minute, a set-piece was to bring the first goal of the match. Stuart McKinstry played a pinpoint corner into the box and captain, Charlie Cresswell rose highest and powered his header into the bottom corner. 

Leeds nearly doubled their lead just a few moments later. Crysencio Summerville showed his blistering pace down the wing, cut inside and saw his shot deflected, then brilliantly tipped onto the crossbar by Alex Cairns in the Fleetwood net. 

As Fleetwood looked to hit back, they were given another opportunity from a set-play. Clark took it once again, he found Harrison Biggins who sent his header over the bar. 

In what was then becoming an end to end game with 10 minutes until the break, Max Dean powered an effort at goal which narrowly went wide of the post, after good work from Cody Drameh to find him in. 

The hosts should have equalised right before the whistle in the first 45. The lively Shayden Morris cut in from his right-wing position and cut the ball back to Jordan Rossiter, who sliced his shot wide from eight yards out. 

HALF TIME: Fleetwood Town 0-1 Leeds United

Jackson made two changes to his side at the beginning of the second half. Lewis Bate was brought on for his first appearance in a Whites shirt, with Ian Poveda the other player to enter the action in place of Adam Forshaw and Amari Miller. Fleetwood made a change of their own up front, as Callum Morton went off for Ged Garner. 

With the second half 10 minutes old, Fleetwood equalised. Morris charged down Van Den Heuvel’s pass and was left with an open goal to finish into and level the scores. 

On the hour-mark, Cresswell had to be replaced after taking an earlier knock, with Kris Moore coming on his place. 

Fleetwood went into the lead in the 61st minute, through substitute Garner. The forward tucked home a penalty for his side narrowly underneath Van Den Heuvel who went the right way. 

Grayson made a quadruple change after going ahead. Anthony Pilkington, Paddy Lane, Trialist and Harrison Holgate were brought on to replace Brad Halliday, Callum Camps, Morris and James Hill.  

Cairns then denied Leeds an equaliser with another excellent save, this time with his legs. Bate cut in from the wing and pulled the ball back for Dean, who shot low and on target but saw it turned away. 

In what had been a well-contested game from a young Leeds United side, Fleetwood held out and claimed the victory.

FULL TIME: Fleetwood Town 2-1 Leeds United

Venue: Highbury Stadium

Referee: M Donohue