Ross McCormack free-kick secures away point...

QPR 1 (Jenas 44), UNITED 1 (McCormack 14).

QPR: Green, Traore, Morrison (Benayoun 85), Dunne, Hill, Onuoha, Jenas (Carroll 81), Hughes, Henry, Hoilett (Keane 62), Doyle. Subs. Murphy, Yun, Sendles-White, Maiga.

United: Butland, Peltier, Lees, Pearce, Warnock, Murphy (Brown 80), Austin, Stewart (Mowatt 70), Kebe (Byram 90), McCormack, Wickham. Subs. Cairns, Wootton, Smith, Hunt.

Referee: C Foy

Booked: Jenas, Henry (QPR), Warnock, Kebe, Mowatt (Leeds).

Att: 16,448 (1,794 Leeds)

New United loan signing Connor Wickham went straight into the starting line-up and he partnered Ross McCormack in the attack for the early kick off at Queens Park Rangers. There was also a recall for Tom Lees after the defender missed last weekend's draw to Middlesbrough.

There was nothing between the two sides during the opening stages of the game with both team's defences on top.

United had a great opportunity to take the lead on 10 minutes after referee Chris Foy pointed to the penalty spot following a challenge by Richard Dunne on McCormack in the area. The Scot picked himself up to take the resulting spot-kick but Robert Green saved his effort.

But United and McCormack weren't to be denied from a second dead-ball situation moments later. The striker stood over a free-kick just outside the box and his effort beat Green in the 14th minute of the game.

United continued to look good in possession and midway through the half United's new strike partnership combined well in the box for McCormack to have an effort on goal, but his attempt deflected behind for a corner. The pair continued to cause the home side problems and on the half-hour mark Wickham turned and struck for goal after good build-up play with McCormack, but his effort went just wide of the mark.

The home side came on strong towards the end of the first half and following good hold-up play by Kevin Doyle QPR midfielder Jermaine Jenas found himself in enough space to shoot for goal. Jenas shot across Jack Butland to equalise for his side one minute before the interval.

The home side began the second half as they finished the first and were close to taking the lead in the first minute after the break. Armand Traore was played through on goal and it took a great save from Butland to stop QPR going ahead.

The opening 20 minutes of the second period were littered with stoppages and free-kicks. There was no real fluency to the game, but Wickham came within a whisker of firing United back in front when he sent a shot across the face of goal after good work by Cameron Stewart.

The second half continued in a similar vein with neither side really able to stamp their mark on the contest. There were no real chances of note and as the game entered the final five minutes the outcome was finely balanced.

With just minutes of the 90 remaining Wickham called QPR keeper Green into action when he headed goalwards from a United free-kick. Green could only parry the ball and Wickham's shot from the rebound was blocked.

In the third minute of added time the home side thought they had nicked the game when Clint Hill fired the ball past Butland, but just as the celebrations began the linesman correctly ruled the effort out as the defender was offside. Hill's effort proved to be the final action of the afternoon with United securing a point at Loftus Road.