U23 Report: Leeds United 5-2 Burnley

U23 Report: Leeds United 5-2 Burnley

Champions hit five in last game of season.

Premier League 2

Leeds United 5 (Drameh 23, Huggins 51, Greenwood pen 68, pen 78), Summerville 75)

Burnley 2 (Gomez 58, Thompson 70)


Leeds: Casilla, Drameh, Davis (Shackleton 45), Casey, Cresswell (c), Berardi (Summerville 45) Huggins, Jenkins, Rodrigo (McKinstry 45), Greenwood, McCarron. Subs not used: Caprile, Kamwa.


Booked: Casey, Summerville (Leeds)


Venue: Thorp Arch


Mark Jackson’s Under-23s finished their season in style, hitting five goals against play-off chasing Burnley, at Thorp Arch.

As the game got underway at a rain-soaked Thorp Arch, it was the visitors who were showing the earliest signs of danger towards Kiko Casilla’s goal.

A couple of early corner routines tested the Leeds defence, but they stood firm. Moments after those, Rob Harker had a low effort which Casilla dealt with.

Rodrigo then tested Burnley’s stopper Marc Richter at the other end with a stinging left-footed drive, as Leeds press forward.

After 23 minutes, the Whites did take the lead in the game. Gaetano Berardi pressed the Burnley defence, won the ball and played in Rodrigo. The striker then slipped in Cody Drameh, who ran through and smashed in a powerful low effort.

In a further chance each before the break, Liam McCarron tested Richter again, before Josh Benson forced Casilla into another save. Both goalies stood firm and the half-time whistle went with Leeds ahead.

Half time: Leeds United 1-0 Burnley

A triple change at the interval saw Jamie Shackleton, Crysencio Summerville and Stuart McKinstry replace Berardi, Rodrigo and Leif Davis.

Coming out and wanting to end their final 45 minutes of such an impressive campaign on a high, it took just five minutes to go further ahead, as Niall Huggins was the most alert player in the box and smashed home at close range.

With plenty still to play for themselves, Burnley reacted well. They won a free-kick in a shooting position, and following a deflection the ball fell kindly for Anthony Gomez to slide in and reduce the deficit.

However, in what was becoming an action-packed half, Summerville showed his lightning pace to race in behind the visiting defence and win a penalty. Sam Greenwood stepped up and coolly slotted home, to get his 11th of the campaign.

Refusing to go down without a fight, once again Burnley got back into the match moments later. This time it was Max Thompson who fired home from a set-piece, to make the gap just one again.

With almost the next attack of the game though, Summerville’s pace was causing chaos again and this time he wasn’t fouled, allowing him to chip the ball over the onrushing ‘keeper and finish calmly to get the fourth for his side.

There was still time for Greenwood to get his second and make it 12 for the season, as the striker won another penalty and took it himself, smashing into the net to become the top-scorer for Leeds United Under-23s this season.

The match finished with Jackson’s side having scored five excellent goals, seeing off the challenge of a spirited Burnley side and in doing so, ending their title-winning campaign unbeaten on home turf.

The attentions turned to the on-pitch celebrations at full time, as the Whites were deservedly presented with the Premier League 2 Division 2 trophy!

Full time: Leeds United 5-2 Burnley