Bolton hit United for five...

UNITED 1 (Smith 90+2), BOLTON 5 (Mason 45, Jutkiewicz 52, Knight 56, Davies 72, Moritz 89).

United: Butland, Peltier (Byram 46), Lees, Wootton, Warnock, Austin, Murphy, Stewart (Smith 64), Kebe (Mowatt 64), McCormack, Wickham. Subs. Cairns, Zaliukas, Brown, Hunt.

Bolton: Bogdan, Ream, Knight, Bapiste, Davies (Lee 75), Danns, Mason (Trotter 70), Spearing (Moritz 82), Jutkiewicz, Wheater, Kamara. Subs. Lonergan, Hutton, Eagles, Hall.

Referee: K Hill

Booked: Austin (Leeds).

Att: 28,904

United manager Brian McDermott handed home debuts to England Under-21 internationals Jack Butland and Connor Wickham as he named one change to his starting line-up. The change was a forced one as Jason Pearce missed out for the first time this season following the birth of his first child.

During the opening stages it was United that enjoyed the vast amount of possession without really threatening Adam Bogdan's goal. United's on loan centre forward Wickham saw his first sight at goal just minutes into the game but his effort was charged down and blocked.

Midfielder Luke Murphy enjoyed a bright start to the game with some good tracking back with important tackles and the first real chance of the match fell his way. Murphy picked up the ball on the corner of the penalty box but his curling shot went the wrong side of the upright.

As the half drew forward to the midway point both sides were struggling to create clear-cut goal scoring opportunities. Both teams tried their luck from distance with Neil Danns striking for the visitors and Lee Peltier for United, but both keepers were equal to the efforts against them.

As the first was coming to a close it looked like the two teams would be tied at the break. But, after an away counter attack that involved a nice through ball from Danns Bolton striker Joe Mason found himself one-on-one with Butland. The United goalkeeper made himself big but the forward kept his cool and made no mistake by slotted the ball passed the keeper to give his side the advantage.

At the interval the United boss made one change as he introduced Sam Byram to proceedings, in place of Peltier.

Although United started the second half well it was the away side that doubled their advantage within seven minutes. Jay Spearing stood over a free-kick just outside the box and floated the ball in. The cross was perfect for the advancing Lukas Jutkiewicz who gave Butland no chance with his powerful header.

And just four minutes later the away side were further ahead when a hopeful Spearing free-kick was launched forward. The United defence didn't deal with it and Zat Knight bundled the ball home.

United rallied following the quick double from the away side and Ross McCormack came closest with a free-kick that went just wide.

Brian McDermott responded by making a double change and introduced Matt Smith and Alex Mowatt. The change was close to making an immediate impact. Rudy Austin blasted the ball goalwards, the keeper could only parry the effort, then a shot from Tom Lees deflected the way of Smith but his header was saved again by the Bolton keeper.

But United were to be punished once more when Bolton broke forward once again. Jutkiewicz's cross missed out the United defenders and a Mark Davies header rippled the back of the net in the 72nd minute.

Bolton's scoring wasn't finished and in the 89th minute Andre Moritz smashed in the fifth goal of the game. The ball went in off the underside of the crossbar and effectively ended the tie as a contest.

United did pull one goal back in added time when Smith headed a McCormack cross passed Bogdan, but it was only a consolation.