Arsenal: Five memorable matches

Arsenal: Five memorable matches

We look back at five memorable matches.

Ahead of Sunday's Premier League clash between Leeds and Arsenal, we look back at five memorable matches between the two sides...

Saturday 2nd March, 1968- Leeds United 1-0 Arsenal

Following promotion from the Second Division in 1964, Don Revie’s Leeds had narrowly missed out on the First Division title twice, the FA Cup and the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, finishing as runners-up in all three competitions.  For the first time in either club’s history, in 1968, both Leeds and Arsenal reached the League Cup final.  After coming so close in the past, Leeds secured a first major trophy, with a 1-0 victory over the Gunners at Wembley.  Terry Cooper smashed home a volley in the 20th minute following a Leeds corner and the Whites held on to the lead, to spark jubilant celebrations at full-time.


Saturday 12th April, 1969- Arsenal 1-2 Leeds United

Revie’s side travelled to face Bertie Mee’s Arsenal, with their eyes firmly set on the First Divison title. A win was needed for the Whites to keep off the fight from Liverpool, who were hot on their heels. A crowd of nearly 48,000 saw George Graham open the scoring for the hosts at Highbury. The comeback was never far away for a Leeds side that were on a 23 match unbeaten run going into the game and when Johnny Giles and then Mick Jones netted, the points were secured. Revie’s side would go on to win the title by six points.

Saturday 6 May, 1972- Leeds United 1-0 Arsenal

‘Number 7, Lorimer.  Mick Jones out on the right, number 9.  He’s going to take on McNab on the outside.  He’s round the back! CLARKE!  ONE-NIL!’.  Allan Clarke’s splendid diving header at Wembley, in front of 100,000 spectators, secured Leeds United the FA Cup in 1972. The woodwork was hit three times, twice by Leeds duo Clarke and Lorimer, along with Arsenal forward Charlie George, whilst Paul Reaney had cleared Alan Ball’s goalward volley off the line.  The win was a repeat score of the 1968 League Cup final and saw Leeds and the majority of the squad, complete a domestic haul of major trophies.

Saturday 21st November, 1992- Leeds United 3-0 Arsenal

Howard Wilkinson’s Leeds United side defeated opponents Arsenal, in the first ever meeting between the two teams in the newly formed ‘Premier League’ after changing from the First Division. Chris Fairclough, Lee Chapman and Gary McAllister were the scorers for the Whites. The return fixture at Highbury ended in a 0-0 draw between the two sides. Arsenal went on to finish 10th whilst Leeds placed in 17th in the Premier League’s inaugural campaign.

Sunday 4th May 2003- Arsenal 2-3 Leeds United

A game you will never forget. Going into the match, the message was simple for both teams. Win, or face disappointment. For Leeds that disappointment would come in the form of relegation, for Arsenal it would be missing out on the title, so in the truest sense of the phrase… there could only be one winner. Luckily for Leeds, there was. With the score at 2-2, a tense and nervy game was settled in the final two minutes. After Thierry Henry saw his curling effort hit the base of the post, Dominic Matteo raced forward moments later and chipped a ball over the top for Mark Viduka to chase. There were some slight appeals for offside, but the flag stayed down, allowing the forward to cut into the box and curl into the far corner with his left foot. Leeds held on to win 3-2 on the final day of the season.