Matt Smith and Ross McCormack goals enough against Millwall...

UNITED 2 (Smith 19, McCormack 41), MILLWALL 1 (Campbell 72)

United: Butland, Byram (Wootton 90), Pearce, Lees, Pugh, Murphy, Austin, Mowatt (Tonge 84), Wickham (Hunt 86), McCormack, Smith. Subs. Cairns, Warnock, Stewart, Poleon.

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Robinson, Lowry, Upson (Campbell 59), Woolford, Beevers, Garvan, Marquis (Maierhofer 57), McDonald, Onyedinma (Jackson 59). Subs. Bywater, Fredericks, Abdou, Powel.

Referee: S Attwell.
Booked: Hunt (Leeds), Maierhofer (Millwall).
Att: 23,211

United manager Brian McDermott was able to name an unchanged team for the visit of Millwall after midfielder Rudy Austin managed to shake off a knock that he picked up in training during the week leading upto the game.

United goalkeeper Jack Butland was called into action during the opening minutes after an Ed Upson free-kick. The Millwall midfielder floated the ball in, which skimmed off Jason Pearce and looked to be heading inside the post, but Butland reacted brilliantly to turn the ball behind for a corner.

The away side had the better of the opening period but it was United who took the lead on 19 minutes with the first real chance of the game. Connor Wickham, who was operating on the left wing, took a trademark long-throw which Matt Smith met in the box. The big striker's header looped over David Forde into an empty net.

Smith's goal sparked a lively 10 minutes of play, but with no real goalmouth action United maintained the one goal advantage.

With 10 minutes of the first half remaining good play from the Millwall frontmen opened up a chance for Martyn Woolford. Butland got his body behind the winger's shot and saved well. Moments later the keeper was on hand to save a tame Mark Beevers header.

But it wasn't long before United scored the second of the afternoon on 41 minutes. Ross McCormack showed great pace and determination to get on the end of a hopeful punt up field. The Millwall keeper originally went for the ball but once McCormack made it his he retreated back to his near post. McCormack made his way towards the goal with the ball at his feet and coolly slotted it through the legs of Forde for his 25th league goal of the season.

United had a further chance before the break but a Tom Lees shot was blocked well by the away defence.

The first three minutes of the second half saw chances at both ends of the pitch. Butland once again twarted the away side by saving a Beevers strike, then Smith went close with a header for United. Moments later the away side went close again but Butland showed bravery to gather the ball from under Scott McDonald's feet.

As the half approached the hour-mark it was United that had began to dominate proceedings and were creating chances, with the best falling to Luke Murphy but his volley went just wide of the mark. Just minutes later McCormack was released, the striker made a yard of space for a strike at goal but it went wide of the post.

On 72 minutes the away side got themselves back into the game thanks to a superb strike from Millwall substitute DJ Campbell. Moments later the away side were close to being level but Butland saved well at his near post following a shot from Stefan Maierhofer.

As the game went into the final 10 minutes it was the away side that were pushing for what would be the equalising goal. The United boss moved to stabilise the midfield by introducing the experienced Michael Tonge. The move saw Austin sit deeper to protect the defence.

Moving Austin to play in front of the defence looked to have calmed United's play and prevented any advances from the away side. Five minutes was shown from the fourth official but it wasn't enough time for Millwall to mount another chance.