Report: Leeds United 3-1 Pacos Ferreira

Report: Leeds United 3-1 Pacos Ferreira

Whites end pre-season with win.


Leeds United 3 (Struijk 39, Hernandez 54, Costa 77)

Pacos Ferreira 1 (Silva 37)


Leeds: Casilla, Douglas, Ayling, Casey, Davis, Struijk, Shackleton, Harrison (Poveda 70), Hernandez (Gotts 73), Roberts, Bamford (Cresswell 88).  Subs not used: Caprile, Jenkins.


Venue: Thorp Arch


Leeds United came from behind to end pre-season with a victory, defeating Portuguese outfit Pacos Ferreira 3-1 at Thorp Arch.

The Whites had the first chance of the game inside eight minutes when Patrick Bamford made progress up the pitch, before striking at goal, forcing Jordi into a good save.

Two minutes later Leeds had a great chance from a corner, when Barry Douglas found the head of Oliver Casey, but he couldn’t direct his attempt on target.

Tyler Roberts shot wide when a Jordi punch came out to him on the edge of the box, before the visitors created their first opportunity, when Lucas Silva met Martin Calderon’s cross, but he could only head wide.

Jack Harrison scuffed a shot wide from the edge of the area, before Leeds had a fine chance to go ahead.  Harrison put a dangerous cross into the box and Pascos Ferreira defender Maracas could only clear into the path of Roberts, but he was denied by a superb save from close range.

At the other end Douglas Tanque broke through on goal, but Casey got back to make a fine block to stop his shot.

Despite the limited chances, the visitors went ahead in the 37th minute, with Silva converting a low ball across the face of goal from Joao Amaral.

The lead lasted just two minutes though, when Pascal Struijk headed Leeds level following a Douglas free kick, ensuring the two sides went in level at the break.

Half time: Leeds United 1-1 Pacos Ferreira

Leeds introduced Helder Costa at the break and made a bright start.  Costa sent Luke Ayling to the byline and his cut-back found Harrison, but he was crowded out and unable to get a shot away.

The Whites then saw a goal ruled out as Ayling sent Jamie Shackleton forwards, before he pulled the ball back to Bamford who converted, but Shackleton was flagged for offside in the build-up.

Leeds took the lead in the 54th minute, Bamford found Pablo Hernandez on the edge of the box and he superbly fired the ball into the top right corner.

Two minutes after the goal, Leeds almost got a third, when Costa broke through on goal down the right, but he couldn’t get the better of Michael.

Costa continued to be a threat throughout the second period and his efforts were rewarded when he latched onto a lovely ball over the top of the Pacos Ferreira defence from Bamford, before converting with cool.

In the closing stages, two Leeds substitutes Ian Poveda and Robbie Gotts combined as Leeds went in search of a fourth, but Gotts saw his strike well saved.

The Whites now have just seven days to go, ahead of next Saturday’s Premier League opener with Liverpool at Anfield.

Full time: Leeds United 3-1 Pacos Ferreira