15 Facts about Rodrigo
Check out 15 facts about our record signing.
1) Rodrigo Moreno Machado was born on Wednesday 6th March 1991 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, before moving to Spain.
2) Adalberto, Rodrigo’s father was also a professional footballer for Brazilian side Flamengo, which was also Rodrigo’s first club during his youth career. Adalberto and Brazil World Cup winner Mazinho opened a football school in Vigo and Rodrigo grew up with his sons, Thiago of Bayern Munich and Rafinha of FC Barcelona.
3) In 2013 Rodrigo was part of the Spain squad which won the UEFA European Under-21 Championship.
4) He scored his first Premier League goal on Wednesday 5th January 2011, as Bolton Wanderers drew 1-1 with Wigan Athletic.
5) The forward helped Benfica reach successive Europa League finals in 2013 and 2014, playing in both finals against Chelsea and Sevilla.
6) During the 2013/14 season Rodrigo and Benfica won an unprecedented domestic treble, lifting the Primeira Liga, Taça de Portugal, Taça da Liga, with Rodrigo scoring in the final of the latter.
7) He made his senior debut for Spain on Sunday 12th October 2014 in a 4-0 victory over Luxembourg.
8) Rodrigo scored his first senior international goal for Spain on Saturday 10th June 2017 in a 3-0 victory over Albania.
9) On Saturday 8th September 2018 Rodrigo scored the winning goal against England at Wembley in the UEFA Nations League.
10) At the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, Rodrigo played in three games for Spain against Iran, Morocco and Russia.
11) Rodrigo scored the winning goal in Valencia’s 2-1 2019 Copa Del Rey Final victory over FC Barcelona.
12) Rodrigo has scored eight goals in his 22 senior international appearances for Spain, with his latest goal coming in the last game he played for his country, a 1-1 draw with Sweden in October 2019.
13) Rodrigo’s last UEFA Champions League goal came in the 1-0 victory over Ajax in December.
14) Rodrigo’s transfer to Leeds United is a record transfer fee for the club, surpassing the £18m paid for Rio Ferdinand from West Ham in November 2000.
15) There will be two familiar faces of Rodrigo at Leeds United, having featured in the Spain squad with Kiko Casilla and Helder Costa at Benfica.