United dominate second half but Doncaster hold on...

UNITED 1 (McCormack 62), DONCASTER 2 (Cotterill 23, Sharp 45+1).

United: Butland, Byram, Lees, Pearce, Pugh, Austin (White 46), Murphy (Tonge 46), Mowatt, Stewart, Smith, McCormack. Subs. Cairns, Warnock, Wootton, Poleon, Hunt.

Doncaster: Johnstone, Quinn, Husband, Keegan, Wellens (Furman 71), Meite, Neill, Cotterill, Coppinger, Brown, Sharp (Robinson 83). Subs. Turnbull, Duffy, McCullough, De Val, Stevens.

Referee: D Bond

Booked: Lees, Byram, Tonge (Leeds), Quinn, Keegan, Johnstone (Doncaster).

Att: 23,476

United boss Brian McDermott made one change to his team for the Yorkshire derby at Elland Road by recalling Cameron Stewart to the starting line-up in the place of Noel Hunt.

Both sides were looking to gain the advantage during a scrappy 20 minutes, but there was very little for either sets of supporters to shout about with both teams struggling to keep possession of the ball.

United's first chance of the afternoon came from the boot of Luke Murphy but the midfielder's strike from distance went wide of the mark. Moments later a great Jason Pearce interception prevented a goalscoring opportunity for the visitors.

The resulting corner-kick led to the opening goal of the game. United were unable to clear the corner and David Cotterill's superb strike from the edge of the box flew into the top corner to give the visitors the lead in the 23rd minute.

The home side reacted well to the goal and a Ross McCormack free-kick from the side of the penalty area was only lacking the finishing touch from United's attacking players.

Following the half-hour mark United enjoyed a lively spell of possession and Matt Smith and Stewart went close to troubling Sam Johnstone in the visitor's goal. Before the half time whistle was blown great link-up play between Sam Byram and Alex Mowatt opened up the Doncaster defence. The advancing Byram picked out Smith but the striker couldn't make the telling touch while under pressure.

At the end of the half the fourth official's board showed three additional minutes and the visitors used that time to their advantage by doubling the lead. Striker Billy Sharp capitalised on a defence error and found himself in front of goal with only Jack Butland to beat and he made no mistake by slotting the ball inside the post.

United came close to pulling one back before the break but Smith and Tom Lees headers were both saved.

There was a bouble change from United at the start of the second half. Michael Tonge and Aidan White were introduced with Rudy Austin and Murphy leaving the field. The change saw Mowatt move into a more central position, along side Tonge.

United began the half on the front foot and the home crowd really got behind their team. White used to his pace to get into attacking positions and one cross had the visitors worried but McCormack's side-foot effort was blocked. The away side also survived a strong penalty shout when it looked like James Husband's hands appeared to block a Byram cross.

Just after the hour mark United were rewarded with a goal for the pressure they had shown. United's strike partnership combined for the goal when Smith headed a free-kick across the box for McCormack to head home.

United continued to dominate the away side and with 20 minutes of the game remaining a Danny Pugh strike and Smith header had to be dealt with by the defence. Pearce also went close with a headed effort from a McCormack corner.

The aerial battled was being won by Smith with the tall striker winning everything that came his way. It was his flick on that set up United's next chance, but Stewart's volley was saved well by the keeper.

United remained on the attack until the last minute of the game and were handed a chance in added time but Smith, who was under pressure, headed just over the bar.