Martyn Waghorn goal enough for home side...

WIGAN 1 (Waghorn 33), UNITED 0.

Wigan: Al Habsi, Crainey, Gomez, McManaman (McClean 62), McArthur, Boyce, Powell (Collison 55), Ramis. Perch, Kiernan, Waghorn (Fortune 68). Subs. Carson, Maloney, Barnett, Maynard.

United: Butland, Wootton, Lees, Pearce, Byram, Warnock, Brown, Tonge, McCormack, Smith, Hunt (Poleon 69). Subs. Cairns, Zaliukas, Pugh, Murphy, Mowatt, Stewart.

Referee: N Swarbrick

Booked: Perch, Gomez (Wigan), Wootton, Brown (Leeds).

Att: 16,443 (3,404 Leeds)

United boss Brian McDermott made two changes to his side for the trip to Wigan. The changes saw Michael Brown and Noel Hunt come in from the start in the place of Aidy White and Alex Mowatt.

Wigan were the form team going into the lunchtime kick off but in the early stages it was United that set the tempo. A nice passing move led to the first opportunity of game when Sam Byram crossed for Stephen Warnock. The defender struck the cross first time but his strike didn't trouble the Wigan keeper.

In the 14th minute of the game both sets of supporters joined together for a minute's applause as it was 14 years ago that two United fans lost their lives in Istanbul.

United continued to put the Play-Off contenders under pressure and more good passing led to Ross McCormack being on the attack. It looked as though McCormack was going to create the space to strike for goal but he was denied by a great tackle by James McArthur.

Moments later the home side had their first sight at goal when Jordi Gomez struck from distance. Jack Butland appeared to have his effort covered as the ball went wide of the mark.

The deadlock was broken in the 33rd minute when McArthur picked up the ball on the sideline and drove at the United defence. McArthur was tackled but the loose ball fell at the feet of Martyn Waghorn whose first time strike beat Butland.

The home side had a good opportunity early in the second half. James Perch latched onto the ball on the edge of the box and shot for goal but Stephen Warnock blocked his effort.

United's first meaningful chance of the half came after 10 minutes when Matt Smith rose well but his headed effort went over the crossbar.

Shortly after the hour mark Tonge struck from distance but his deflected shot bounced into the arms of Ali Al-Habsi.

Moments later Wigan substitute James McClean tricked his way into space. The winger shot for goal but Butland wasn't troubled by his strike with it being straight at him.

With 15 minutes of the game remaining United substitute Dominic Poleon was causing the home defence problems with his pace and Ivan Ramis brought the forward down. McCormack took the resulting free-kick and found Tom Lees at the back post but the defender's header went over the bar.

United came close to drawing level with five minutes left when Smith played through McCormack. The Scot still had a lot to do with defenders in front of him, he went for a chipped effort and had the keeper beaten but the ball went just wide. Moments later Jason Pearce headed just over the bar when he connected with a corner.

The final minutes of the game were open as Wigan looked to finish the match off and United went in search of an equaliser. United pushed until the final whistle but Waghorn's first half strike settled the contest.