Ross McCormack strikes seals derby match...

BARNSLEY 0, UNITED 1 (McCormack 16).

Barnsley: Steele, Kennedy, McLaughlin, M'Voto, Cranie, Dawson (Proschwitz 76), Lawrence, Etuhu (McCourt 66), Cywka, O'Grady, Jennings. Subs. Turner, Woods, Mellis, Hassell, Nyatanga.

United: Butland, Lees, Zaliukas (Hunt 60), Pearce, Wootton, Warnock, Murphy, Tonge, Brown, McCormack, Smith (White 82). Subs. Cairns, Pugh, Mowatt, Austin, Poleon.

Referee: D Webb.

Booked: Etuhu (Barnsley), Brown, Murphy (Leeds).

Att: 15,190 (4,141 Leeds)

United boss Brian McDermott named an unchanged side for the short trip to Oakwell. The only change to the matchday squad saw the inclusion of Rudy Austin on the United bench after the midfeidler recovered from an ankle injury.

Both sides started the game with wayward strikes at goal but the first real opportunity of the match fell to United. United worked the ball well from a throw-in and Michael Tonge had space to cross. The ball was met by Matt Smith but the striker's header was saved well by Luke Steele.

Moments later United worked another good opening and Luke Murphy headed for goal after a clever cross from Ross McCormack, but the midfielder's header was crowded out and blocked.

United's early pressure paid off in the 16th minute when McCormack showed great class to give the away side the lead. Smith flicked on a header and McCormack controlled the ball beautifully, chipped it over the defender's head and finished fantastically for his 28th league goal of the season.

The game descended into something of a stop-start affair.  Barnsley huffed and puffed, but United worked hard getting men behind the ball and looked fairly comfortable with the lead.

The home side had a couple of half chances before the interval but Tomasz Cywka blazed one over the crossbar and send another effort wide of the mark.

Barnsley dominated much of the play during the early stages of the second period without really offering anything going forward. United's players stuck to their tasks and kept the home side at bay.

The United boss moved to make a change on the hour-mark and introduced Noel Hunt, the switch saw Hunt move up front and the side play four at the back.

Moments later United had two good opportunities for a second. First McCormack struck one just over the bar, then he turned provider but Smith couldn't make the telling touch in the Barnsley penalty area.

The home side created their first real opportunity of the half with 20 minutes of the game remaining. Dale Jennings got his head onto a cross in United's box but his effort didn't trouble Jack Butland.

Chances were few and far between in the second half at Oakwell and when the home side created an opening Liam Lawrence but his effort high and wide of Butland's goal.

The home side looked to push forward in the final minutes of the match but United kept the ball in advance positions of the field to put a dent in their survival hopes. The win was United's first at Oakwell since 1997.