FA Cup: Memorable matches

FA Cup: Memorable matches

We take a look at some memorable FA Cup matches.

Ahead of tonight’s FA Cup Third Round draw (7pm), we take a look at five memorable FA Cup matches the Whites have been involved in. Leeds have won the cup on one occasion in 1972 and have been runners-up on three separate occasions in 19651970 and 1973.

Saturday, 31 March 1965- Leeds United 1-0 Manchester United, FA Cup Semi Final Replay

A 3-0 victory over Crystal Palace in the quarter finals set up a mouth watering clash with arch rivals Manchester United at a neutral venue. Hillsborough hosted the Semi Final and 65,000 fans watched a feisty 0-0 draw. The draw earned both teams a replay at the City Ground. Don Revie’s side went into the fixture full of confidence and weathered an early storm from the Reds. The Whites then had a chance following a goalmouth scramble from a corner but Pat Dunne in the Man United goal saved well. Leeds had numerous chances to go ahead but Dunne was in fine form. However, with two minutes of normal time to go Leeds won a free kick on the halfway line, Johnny Giles floated the ball into the box and Billy Bremner was there to head home to send Leeds to Wembley for the first time. 

Saturday, 6 May 1972- Leeds United 1-0 Arsenal, FA Cup Final

Leeds United travelled to Wembley to contest the centenary cup final with holders Arsenal. The Whites beat Bristol Rovers, Liverpool, Cardiff City, Tottenham Hotspur and Birmingham City to reach the final.  In front of a 100,000 capacity crowd, Alan Ball had an early chance for Arsenal which was brilliantly cleared off the line by Paul Reaney. Minutes later Allan Clarke raced up the pitch for Leeds and set up Mick Jones but his effort from just outside the box went inches past the post. Leeds settled into the game and Peter Lorimer hit a thunderous shot goal-bound, from a free kick and Geoff Barnett in the Arsenal net, could only push it out for a corner. Leeds piled on the pressure as Lorimer fired a ball to the back post for Clarke but his header cannoned off the crossbar. After an end-to-end first half the teams went in level at the break. Seven minutes after the restart, Leeds found the deserved breakthrough after Jones got to the byline and floated a ball into the box, which Clarke expertly headed home. The contest went back-and-forth as Arsenal forward Charlie George struck the crossbar late on with a close range volley. Leeds defended heroically and held on to win the FA Cup for the first time in the club's history. Captain Bremner lifted the trophy, presented by Her Majesty The Queen.

Saturday, 21 February 1987- Leeds United 2-1 QPR, FA Cup Fifth Round

Leeds welcomed QPR to Elland Road with a place in the quarter finals at stake. The Whites started well and dominated possession. With 18 minutes on the clock Micky Adams got to the byline and whipped a ball into the box which John Sheridan met and headed back across goal and Ian Baird was there to nod home.  QPR started better in the second half and just after the hour mark Rangers drew level after David Rennie scored an own goal. After this blow Bremner’s side were fired up and started to gain control of the game again. With five minutes to go Leeds won a corner, Sheridan floated the ball to the far post and Brendon Ormsby planted a powerful header into the back of the net. Elland Road erupted and Leeds set up a quarter final with Wigan.

Monday, 4 January 2010- Manchester United 0-1 Leeds United, FA Cup Third Round

Leeds visited Manchester United looking for a first victory at Old Trafford since 1981.  It was a fiercely fought game and a cagey affair early on with midfielder Darron Gibson having the only notable chance in the first 15 minutes. With 18 minutes on the clock Richard Naylor won the ball from Dimitar Berbatov and Jonny Howson picked up the loose ball and floated a 60-yard pass over the top into the path of Jermaine Beckford. Beckford got there ahead of Wes Brown and slotted it past Tomas Kuszczak to give Leeds the lead and spark wild scenes amongst the 9,000 travelling Leeds fans.  Minutes later Wayne Rooney almost equalised but defender Jason Crowe magnificently cleared his effort off the line.  Just after the restart in the second half Danny Welbeck had a one-on-one but Casper Ankergren denied him with a fine save. On the hour mark Alex Ferguson needed to call on reinforcements from the bench with Ryan Giggs, Antonio Valencia and Michael Owen all entering the pitch. Valencia immediately made an impact as he got to the byline and pulled the ball back for Rooney, but he missed from six yards out. Beckford then had a chance to double his tally but his strike narrowly missed the target. Robert Snodgrass almost put the game to bed but his powerful 25-yard free kick struck the crossbar and Leeds defended magnificently to see out the win.

Sunday, 27 January 2013- Leeds United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur, FA Cup Fourth Round

Leeds reached the fifth round of the competition in 2013, thanks to victory over a Spurs side containing now Real Madrid winger Gareth Bale and former Whites man Aaron Lennon at Elland Road.  Leeds took the lead in the 15th minute as Michael Brown's pass sent Varney through on goal and he kept his composure to slot past Brad Friedel.  Leeds had an opportunity to double the advantage before the break, but Friedel this time denied Ross McCormack with a good save.  Five minutes into the second half Leeds did go further ahead.  El Hadji Diouf’s through ball was latched onto by McCormack and he found the back of the net with a neat finish.  Clint Dempsey pulled a goal back for Spurs in the 58th minute when he glanced home a cross from Bale, but Leeds could have restored the two goal cushion through McCormack, but for a good stop by Friedel.  Jonathan Obika had a late chance to secure a replay, but Lee Peltier’s block saw the Whites progress.